Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 1 year ago

Weight limit for a horse?

Hi I just wanted to know if there is a weight limit to ride a horse. My Bf is 300 pounds and said he wanted to ride a horse and I had said I think he might hurt it. I believe he took it as me making fun of his weight, but I genuinely believed that he might be too big. Is 300 to pounds to big to ride a horse?

• 1 year ago

It depends. I am an overweight rider. The 20% rule (20% of horses body weight is appropriate weight to carry) is a good guideline but you don't have to hold fast to that. The horse I ride is short and he is smaller but he is a beast and can easily carry me and more. You just have to discuss with someone experienced with this and find a horse he can ride.

• Jeff
    1 year ago

Dan blocker did ok

1 year ago

There are many types of big strong horses that he could ride. Basically use common sense, ask questions, and err on the side of caution.

1 year ago

stick 2 horses or 3 together and that might be ok

1 year ago

Give a call to the st@bkea in your area, they will let you know if they have horses that can accommodate the weight.

The average horse can carry between 30 and 25 percent of its body weight on its back. Many riding horses are only 900 pounds, bigger quarter horses are around 1200 pounds, stock horses bred for working cattle and some plowing are up to 1600 pounds. Many riding st@bles have either full blood or half blood draft horses that pull hay rides, they are also saddle broke and are used for people that need to ride double or super tall people, and heavy people.

My sisters 6’6” and around 400 pounds (very busty). She rides a half draft Belgian and Morgan that weighs in at 2600 pounds. The horse does packing on trails of 509 to 600 pounds and doesn’t sore or tier (tents don’t bounce or lean when packed properly). She was so impressed with the mare she bought her as her personal riding horse. My brothers 415 pounds and 7’8” and rides a Clydesdale named Big Jake. The horse is too big to drive because of his height, just over 19 hands and weighs in at 3400 pounds. The horse usually carries two special needs full sized adults but my brother rides him twice a week year round (indoor arena) when he rides the Belgian cross his feet are about 6” off the ground, if he tried a regular riding horse he would just have to stand next to it and swing his leg over its back, no jumping up.

The average stable has a 200 pound limit, however the one with draft3rs or draft crosses can accommodate 300 to 350 pound riders. As I said call and ask ahead of time. Many places appreciate reservations so they can have the horses up that are needed. My mother in law was a sweet petite thing, all 94 pounds of the 5’1” woman, short legs so th y usually had her on large ponied like hslflingerd or similar. She even rode a bigger dhrtlwnd as het feet eerie about a foot off the ground. The shrland was 700 pounds not fat.

• 1 year ago

While 20% is a good limit for a horse who's going to be ridden all day or asked to do athletic things like barrels or jumping, it's not so valid for a short ride of limited effort. Since I take it your BF is a beginner, that's not a real issue.

A healthy, fit horse can easily carry 25% of his weight for a reasonable ride. That means a 1200 pound horse (assuming horse is not fat) should be able to let him walk/jog around on it for half an hour no problem.

That horse could be a tallish quarterhorse type or a stocky thoroughbred type.

• Eva
    1 year ago

Depends on the horse. Most stables do have a weight limit and he would be over that. He would need a large saddle and a solid, draft-type horse.

• *****
    1 year ago

An average sized horse, yes, he is much too large to ride. Rider plus tack should not exceed 20% of the horse's weight. An average light horse is about 1000 pounds, leaving recommended rider+ tack weight at 200 pounds. While draft breeds are larger, they're also built to PULL weight, not so much to carry it. So he's likely to find that no horse owner would allow him to ride, regardless of the animal's size. You'll find most places that offer lessons or trail rides to the public will have maximum weights for riders around 200-240 pounds, depending on the size of the horses in their string, or some, like this place, require height/weight proportionate riders using a chart like this: https://seahorseranch.org/weight-restrictions/ as it's easier for a horse to carry a taller fit rider who can balance themselves well than a short obese rider.

• 1 year ago

Ask the owner of the horse - it may surprise you, but horses come in various sizes and shapes, from the gracile Appaloosa to the robust Clydesdale. So, while your BF may be too heavy to ride every horse, he may not be too heavy to ride a specific horse.