Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 1 year ago

Should I be worried about this saying anyone can see my online activities?

@Dustin - what can others at my home do? Can they see what I do on the internet? My wifi is secured with WPA2.

• 1 year ago

Yes and no. Avast is trying to sell you on using their VPN. A VPN connection will encrypt ALL traffic running through the VPN server. The encryption will start before you hit the router, meaning anyone on the network can't see the data. This is why it states its useful on public wifi. When using a wireless router, anyone on the network can use software that shows any unencrypted traffic. Public wifi can be dangerous without a VPN as you have no idea if someone is listening on the network. The problem is that most important websites will encrypt your traffic using HTTPS. This will prevent anyone on the network from seeing the traffic as well. Most websites with login info, use HTTPS now. So it is relatively safe to use public wifi without a VPN, though one is still recommended.

If you are mostly using home wifi and it is locked with WPA2, you shouldn't need to use a VPN unless you don't trust others on the network.

1 year ago

We have little control over privacy once we log on to the internet. However, some of those messages saying that others can see your activity are posted to try to get you to buy a security system from them.

• Jake
    1 year ago

Not if you're not doing anything wrong the government does it all the time