Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 year ago

Poll, yes or no it is your responsibility as an adult to pay your bills on time?

Seems kind of common sense, but the longer I work with the public, the more I realize it isn't so common sense to a lot of people. Right now I work in insurance and...yes...you do have to pay to insure your car, house, business, etc. It's not free. We all know this. I have clients who have had their insurance for months, even years, that forget to make a payment but somehow make it OUR problem and throw a fit if their policy has a late fee, cancel notice, or worse completely cancels due to non-pay. They'll use every excuse in the book. "I didn't get my bill in the mail so I didn't pay" is always my favorite You should still know about when your bills are due. I pay around a dozen bills a month, I know when they are due. And if I am late...guess what? That's MY problem. Not the company's problem. Even if I didn't get a bill. Even if I thought I already paid and turns out I didn't.

So, am I nuts here in assuming as adults we alone are responsible for paying our bills on time? Yes? No? Why is this such a complicated concept to some?

**Obviously this doesn't count for people who have had a situation they absolutely cannot help. I.e. in the hospital or family member death or illness. We always do our best to accommodate for those situations. But interesting enough, those are the people who actually don't get upset at us. Go figure.

Also, for those of you who have been in this boat of grown *** adults getting mad at you or your company for penalties of being late, I am curious to hear your stories. :)

Actually, to the anonymous answer, you have a point. But I have been in that predicament. Especially with credit cards because they're not as important as food, gas, rent, electric...BUT I do not get mad at the company for my negligence. At the end of the day if I am going to own a car insurance is part of the deal.

• 1 year ago

This is a dumb question

• P.L.
      1 year agoReport

But you still wanted 2 points for responding to it !!

• e9601:
    1 year ago

yes

• zipper
    1 year ago

YES!

1 year ago

Trump and ethically challenged corporate CEOs, etc. w/offshore accts who avoid paying taxes, pull off scams like bankruptcy and hiring lawyers to avoid paying contractors, whom you would then assumedly disparage for defaulting on THEIR obligations, these clever ’techniques’ that struggling people can’t afford, seem to be setting a bad example. Maybe we figure if they can get away with it, why shouldn’t we, since for some of is not paying our usurious interest rate credit card bill could be a matter of SURVIVAL, not a game we play to get over on the system and brag about over martinis at the country club. I live in a heavily taxed, affluent state whose gov’t is so corrupt/fiscally irresponsible that they’re going to reinstitute highway tolls soon so economically struggling people won’t be able to afford driving anymore. Why is fiscal irresponsibility only a privilege of the wealthy and connected, but inexcusable and a ‘character weakness’ for the rest of us?

• 1 year ago

It is a responsibility to pay bills on time every time, and it will benefit the individual as their credit rating will reflect this. This may also work to the individuals advantage by having lower interest rates when they purchase a home, automobile or other big ticket item and apply for credit.

• 1 year ago

you are not wrong but not right

BUT modern times the bills DO COME LATE and are due two days after you receive it..

I do not blame the mail I blame the billing mailing out too late

as well big companies fail to process mail timely after they receive payments

I have tested this by sending payments certified mail knowing they got it on time but they failed to process it in a timely manner (holding up to 15 days)- The excuses the companies like insurance and utilities give are equal to those you describe people give you.

proper business is bills sent with a 30 day buffer and companies had a 15 day grace period

the fact is the goal of all the big companies is based on the idea to force everyone to use auto payment via direct withdrawal form bank accounts or credit cards

THIS WILL NOT BE DONE BY RESPONSIBLE ADULTS

the auto payment takes your control and freedom away. AS well they charge a fee to do this and there is no easy way to cancel them since t companies are set up to sign up not cancel -- often required cancel of the account and moving everything to the new account

look at it this way many of the people who behave as you describe also work for companies that do not process billing properly

--------------

Fact try and go to the bank counter and make your payment and make additional principal payment too on the loan.... they go into a tail spin trying to do it, they only know how to do a payment due not the additional principal.. WHY? they want you to not pay it off so they can charge interest and late fees

• 1 year ago

We live in an era where many people no longer have a sense of personal responsibility. Accepting fault for our own actions is seen as weakness and assigning blame to others is the norm. In theory, everyone knows they have to meet their obligations, but they don't take them seriously, then think that by throwing a hissy fit, they'll be given a pass. I also work in insurance - on the claims side - and I am no longer surprised when people refuse to accept responsibility for their negligent actions. There's always an excuse as to why they couldn't possibly be at fault.

• 1 year ago

i think it is

• keerok
    1 year ago

Yes.

• 1 year ago

It seems that Liberalism is the direct cause of this irresponsible mentality. If you are a victim, then nothing is your fault.

• David B.
      1 year agoReport

I'm sorry April but I don't see how you have arrived at the conclusion that Republicans and Conservatives think they're so much better than everyone else. I'm both and I don't, and never have thought that.