Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 7 months ago

At 16 (in the uk) are you still a child or a young adult?

Technically you’re a child but I wondered about your opinions.

At 16 you can move out, drive a moped, drink alcohol at a pub accompanied by an adult, by a national lottery ticket, consent to sex and more...

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

In Scotland you are considered an adult at 16, in England at 18. That is child abuse of the worst kind. For hundreds of years the UK considered people under the age of 21 to be children, which they 100% are, sadly decades ago made 18 the age in England and 16 in Scotland.

People under the age of 21 are children, not young adults. 16 is still a child no matter how mature they act. When age based laws no longer apply to you, then you are an adult.

• 7 months ago

Depends on the laws in your state probably. in the USA, you can divorce your parents at 12 or 13 in some states.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

A child that's why you are not allowed to vote.

• 7 months ago

Our youngest daughter said one day when she was 16 years old, "I'm a young adult." My husband replied, "You are not a young adult, you are an old child."

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

In the UK the age of 18 is widely accepted as the start of adulthood but those one or two years younger occupy a strange twilight zone where they are given many freedoms and responsibilities but denied others.... the term used is generally "young people" however legally under 18y olds are children

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

A child, until you're 18.

• 7 months ago

Legally you're a child at 16. Beyond that is strictly subjective. I think you're still a child in many ways, but an adult in other ways.

• 7 months ago

In England you cannot drive or drink aged 16

• Clive
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

A child, obviously, as you are not a legal adult. What age you're allowed to do things has nothing to do with it. And you cannot drink alcohol in a pub at 16 unless an adult buys it and you are having a sit-down meal.

• gerald
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

you are how you behave in life

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.