Can I refuse a diagnosis for my car?

My check engine light came on and I went to get a free diagnosis at Autozone. I got the paper for it of what is wrong ect. I called a auto repair shop and I told them what was wrong with the car. They kept avoiding it as I didn t know what I was talking about. I told about the paper of the diagnosis.They said "First we got to diagnosis it" but I already got that done for free! I believe they just want to charge me extra money to give me the answer I already know...

You can buy the part from Autozone and have someone install it but if it does not fix the problem you are back where you started. May be worth the gamble if it is something like an oxygen sensor, easy to install and they go bad occasionally. If it is an electronic part get a OEM, that is a part made by the car company. Buying electrical parts that are not OEM is a big gamble. So for example, if you have a Ford buy a Motocraft replacement part.

• hart

they want to make the Money on you

• Dan B

They don't want you to bring your car back because they didn't fix the car based upon YOUR diagnosis. Then you'll be badmouthing them on social media because they didn't fix your car. They have the right to refuse to service your car. The mechanic has to find out WHY the code was set. Example: If youir code said you have a bad O2 sensor, you tell them to replace it. Problem not fixed because the REAL problem might be a broken wire to the O2 sensor. You'll have paid for a sensor you didn't need.

• FlagMichael

You need more thumbs up. O2 sensors are the poster child for "misdiagnosis by code" - as one of our top answerers once put it "O2 sensors monitor an environment." I'm appalled how often people replace O2 sensors because they are reporting lean conditions.

That's funny you think AutoZone diagnosed your car. They did no such thing. All they did was read the codes. Any idiot can do that. The code has a diagnostic flow chart. Certain steps to follow that lead to the correct repair. If you want to skip all the steps and guess at what's wrong, listen to AutoZone. If you want a correct repair let the shop do it's job. The shop has a reputation. It's not going to base it's repairs from Nick down at AutoZone who 2weeks ago was working at the Taco Bell drive-thru. Take it to the dealership and get it fixed. They.are trained to work on your specific car.

• don r

You got an OBD2 trouble code. The mechanic still needs to determine WHY that code was set. You can either get the job done right or have some grease monkey sell you parts you don't need until the problem goes away.

No such thing as a free anything.

• zipper

Their equipment is much better at pinpointing the problem and will save them time and you money over the small hand held unit the Auto store uses.

You can but they will similarly refuse to work on your car. The list of codes from autozone is not a diagnosis. The codes tell you what is malfunctioning, but not why. That still needs to be diagnosed...

• FlagMichael

I think it is better if people think of diagnostic codes as being like a thermometer. It can say you have a fever but not why. Bringing the fever down is not a cure.

• JetDoc

The REAL purpose of an Auto Zone "diagnosis" is to sell you parts that you probably don't need.

Having a sales person read your codes is not the way to have a problem with the OBD II system diagnosed. Once you get the codes is when the diagnosing starts. the mechanic is right...you have no clue what it takes to repair the problem.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech