Wolf Guy asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 year ago

Is it ok to force an alcoholic to stop drinking completely?

I'm seeing a professional for my drinking. Despite that and the efforts I've done and do, my parents seem to ignore them. They told me that I can't drink alcohol from now on. If my dad finds my alcohol after buying it, he will take it away from me and keep it for himself. He also said he's looking for a good alcometer.

My dad is a scientific and my mom use to be alcoholic and smoker. So I find it very frustrating that they think they can just act like experts.

• Marc
    1 year ago

No. If you "force" someone to stop drinking suddenly they could have a severe problem with withdrawl. Second, they need treatment...the alcohol is just a symptom of a larger problem

1 year ago

Try supplements like n-acetyl carnitine

• 1 year ago

That would be a waste of time.

• 1 year ago

no, if they are an alcoholic, they are addicted to alcohol. when you become addicted your body depends on what you are addicted to. you need to have them slowly decrease the amount they drink over a period of time

• Wolf Guy1 year agoReport

That is what my parents don't understand... He forbids me from even having one can of beer. If he does catch me with alcohol, he takes it for himself. He also told me that he's looking for a good alcometer to buy.

• 1 year ago

No. You can smoke and drink as much as you like. Have a blast folks

• 1 year ago

How can you force someone to stop drinking unless you have them committed to a psychiatric facility?

• 1 year agoReport

Prison too

• 1 year ago

For all the people saying "jail," even THEY know better and will have a doctor on site in case of severe seizures brought on by withdrawal.

So no, you can't. Depending on how far into the disease they are, they could die.

• kelvin
      1 year agoReport

still not a disease as it's an addiction and big difference between the two

• 1 year ago

You can not leagly force them you just have to hope and pray that they do as well as offer as much support as you can (I do not mean that's all you talk about with them).

1 year ago

Jail

1 year ago

The only way that would happen would be if they were sent to rehab, or a mental asylum, prison or to a remote place to live.