Can a minor be sued by an employer for “no call, no show”?

I recently started a job at Dairy Queen, and for personal reasons I’m no longer wanting to work there and I desperately need to quit. But I’m a very nervous and shy person and since this is my first job I’m very scared about calling and quitting (my family are insisting that I handle this by myself). So my plan is to just not show up anymore. But I was wondering if I can be sued for that even though I’m a minor. The job pays minimum wage and I have worked there a week and a half if that makes any difference

29 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Best answer

You can't be sued for quitting unless you're working under an employment contract. Your job at DQ does not require an employment contract, so you'll be fine.

• 7 months ago

Heck no!

• 7 months ago

No, but it is always wiser to inform an employer you can't perform the job at this time. You can call them, and report, but don't just not show up, that will be a discredit that can bite you in the butt, somewhere up the road. Good luck.

• 7 months ago

You are working at-will. That means you can quit any time you like for any reason or no reason. So you go to your boss and you tell them that you want to quit. They likely ask you why. You tell them you don't want to talk about it and that is the end of it. They ask for a reason in most cases because sometimes they can help you and work with you. Although to be honest a job like that likely has enough turnover they don't care.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

No, you cannot be sued for not showing up to take on the responsibilities of your job. However, your family is right and if you are going to live in this world, you will soon learn that a Dairy Queen job is going to be the easiest job you will ever hate.

If you are too shy to do it in person, then pick up your cell phone and talk to the manager and let them know that you are quitting the job for personal reasons. Hang up and be proud to have done the right thing.

If you cannot handle a job in a Dairy Queen, then you may want to seek out some psychological help along with a trial period of medication. Because unless you can get out of your own way, you will be tripping over your problems for the rest of your life. Don't do that to yourself. You NEED to put the work into being a productive member of society IF you want to have a happy life and an income to pay for it.

• 7 months ago

Absent a written contract, an ADULT can't be sued by the employer for a 'no call, no show'.

An employer can treat a 'no call, no show' as QUITTING for employees of any age, as long as they treat all employees the same for that purpose.

Abandoning the job without notifying the boss WILL result in a reputation that you don't want to have when applying for jobs in the future.

• 7 months ago

No. Just not showing up is cowardly. Go in, tell them you don't like the job and that you are quitting. There are no laws you are breaking, there is nothing they will do to you - except give an unfavorable reference to future employers you apply to.

• 7 months ago

If you don't have an employment contract, you hold no liability, and as a minor of course you don't have a contract of any kind. But anyone able to write such a coherent question already knew that and doesn't work at Dairy Queen for minimum wage.

• 7 months ago

Grow up! Call them and speak to the manager, and quit. Make up an excuse, of course, of being sick with something you don't want to spread around, etc.

• 7 months ago

You can't be sued, only fired. But it's not a good idea. It's unethical to just not come to a job. You need at least to write your boss a letter or something.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.