Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 7 months ago

Do I need to file for an extension?

I've overpaid my taxes for 2018 I just don't have the return done yet.....

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago
    Best answer

Legally, YES.

However, the penalty for not filing on time without filing for an extension is a % of the amount owed, which would be zero if you are due a refund.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

GIVE IT A TRY! That is all you can do now!

• 7 months ago

No, if due a refund you are fine

• 7 months ago

Make sure first, if yes then you can go for it

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

It's too late now.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Whenever you don't file on time, there is a failure to file penalty. Unless you file an extension.

Just go online and do your taxes. Just takes a few minutes for most.

• NA
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Failure to file amount is based on amount owed. If getting a refund, as many people do, it does not apply.

• NA
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Always get the 4868. Especially if you are the type who does their tax return with pencil and calculator. It's way too easy to make a mistake or claim a deduction or credit that you weren't entitled to.

The difference if you ultimately end up owing? 5% vs 0.5% (ten times as much) per month for the first 5 months--and if you do err and the IRS has to catch it, it could be months later.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

i would call a tax place and ask thren this question

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

If you are owed a refund, you don't need to file an extension. Better make sure you are right because there are hefty penalties for not filing by the 15th or not filing an extension if you do owe.

• 7 months ago

If you will owe tax, you must apply for an extension and you must pay the estimated tax with the request for an extension. If you are claiming a refund, you have up to three years.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.