Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 year ago

Need help with ideas on digging up a mess of trees grown into chain link fencing. How do I get the chain saw below the fence?

Imagine trees and shrubs sprouting on either side of a chain link fence, then growing through the chain link fence and continuing upward for several feet above the fence. I've been cutting them off just above the fence line for years, but am sick of the work and ugliness and now considering removing the fence altogether. I've run ads in years past saying, "Free fencing if you dig it up" and got a few calls but the fence remains.

I never mentioned the trees to callers and can't imagine anyone now, with even more tree embeddedness, doing the work when it means getting rid of the growth that now has the chain-link permanently fixed to the land, not just the posts...or even wanting free chain link with pieces of leftover trunks within it that can never be removed, even if the fence were already dug up.

If I want ALL growth gone for appearance purposes, and to keep from having to cut it all down each year, I'll have to cut them off at ground level and poison the leftover trucks. But you can't operate a chain saw that close to chain link.

First thought is to dig a 2' wide trench underneath and away from the chain link in order to make room for an entire chain saw housing and blade to cut down the growth from one end of the fence to the other, but that would take far more time and work than I want to spend, just to make room for a chain saw.

2nd thought was to pay megabucks for a Bobcat driver to dig up everything. But this mess started when a neighbor put up a fence just 1' inside the chain link and that's why what's growing is so hard to get to. He said he would trim things between the fences at the time, but he lied. He can't even see the mess so it's not his problem.

The cleanest, most attractive option to a prospective buyer when I sell it would be to somehow eliminate the ugly double-fence (my chain link, leaving just his wooden) and all growth with it. Obviously I can't damage his wood fence while getting rid of mine, if I choose to get rid of it. I'm tried of just trimming the trees above the chain link fence every year. This has gotten worse over time. What would you do?

P.S. - Legal ownership of the chain link fence is another topic in itself. I believe it could totally disappear and my neighbor wouldn't care. He can't even see it. He had a survey done when his wooden fence went it, but I don't know if he built his inside the property line, requiring me to pay for my own survey if I ever wanted to put up fence of my own before attaching to the corners of his fence should I ever put up my own fence, 90 degrees to his, which I plan to do.

He is a recluse and won't talk to people. I don't have his number and left a note in his mailbox but he will not respond. I haven't talked to a lawyer, but I suspect he/she would tell me there's nothing I can do if he won't talk, just pay for my own survey and build according, even if it means an entire new wooden fence just inside his, which would be stupid. He's obviously retired and rich, I'm neither.

• Linda
    1 year ago

The best way to solve this............. remove that section of fence and once you have the trees cut - then add a new section back into the fence.

1 year ago

Actually, I 've got something similar. A thicket with improvised wire fencing and other obstacles. I did clear out a dead tree and there is another. Rats ate the bark. It had been a producing lemon tree at one time. I think the best way is to hook a chain on the fencing and haul with a heavy vehicle or tractor. But you can't do that because it is not your fence. Maybe you could reach better if you approached from the neighbor's side. Use my rat reference to persuade your neighbor there is a problem, even if rats are unknown in your area. You want to keep it that way. Anything that is inaccessible provides a habitat if the surrounding land is all developed.

• 1 year ago

Your recluse neighbor will care the minute he sees that Bobcat delivered and ready to almost destroy his fence. Get your own survey and put it with the paperwork you will need when you sell your property. Send Mr. Recluse a certified letter (sounds stupid I know, he IS right next door) to prove he got it, outlining your problem and requesting his help to solve it. If he ignores it in 30 days, start work. If you need permits, get your local municipality involved. Maybe he'll open the door for them.

We have the same problem. Years ago when the neighbors moved in, they put up a stockade fence a few inches away and parallel to our chain link, then planted Rose O'Sharon trees along their side of the fence. Decades later, the tree roots spread to between the fences and is now destroying their fence. They're mad that we 'allowed' the trees on our side of their fence (their side of our fence) to get big.

Our garden is pretty thick on our side so herbicides are out of the question. When we told them they were welcome to come in our yard to cut down the trees between the fences they said they hoped we would take care of that or they'd have to take down their fence to do it properly on their side. The only way to totally remove them is to dig out the roots and the way they spread, we will be weeding out tiny Rose O'Sharons forever. Besides, they're pretty and the hummingbirds love them.

• 1 year ago

DON'T. Get an electric saber saw with a long blade. It is thin enough and flexible enough you can easily get it under the chain link and cut the wood. If you try it with a chain saw it will grab the fence and could kill you. Way too dangerous.

• 1 year ago

post a pic showing the site length w the fence

• ?
    1 year ago

soak them in a mixture of Gasoline, Diesel and powered Tide soap... Making your own NAPALM... spray them down good let it soaking and throw a match to it., The chain Link fence will not burn and just let the trees burn out... Check your local fire codes first...

• y
    1 year ago

I'd go with the sawzall option, wonderful things. Depending on the size of said trees. One may cut the clips that hold the fence to the posts, then pull the fences out with a truck/car. Or pull a little, cut, pull a little cut. Then deal with the posts.

• chris
    1 year ago

A "Sawzall" with a long wood blade is your best bet. You can go under or through the chain link and not damage a thing. The blades are long and skinny and don't cost much. While your at it, pick up some "Bi-metal" blades and cut those posts off at the base so you don't even have to dig them up. This is not a job for a chainsaw.

• 1 year ago

dig. unless you have pretty rocky soil, the tip of the chain saw will go through dirt, too

Source(s): grampa
  • 1 year ago

Lopping shears are your friend