Tusha asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 8 months ago

Does homeopathy work, really?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Marc
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Best answer

That depends who you ask. Ask the medically inclined and you get no. As the people who take them and you get yes. Then there is placebo effect, which can account for 30% response

• Marc
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Did I say anywhere in my answer that it was science? No. I didnt.

• 7 months ago

It works perfectly well, ask those who ( millions) have been cured by it.

Source(s): Self experience many times.
  • 8 months ago

no

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Homeopathy can only work if you postulate that magic exists.

The thing that never makes sense to me that it requires water to have memory by shaking it. Then you put the remedy on a truck for distribution where it is certainly shaken more, but the water is never assumed to acquire any new memories.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Short answer, no, not at all. The longer answer is that there could potentially be some placebo effect that provides a perceived benefit depending on the ailment it's supposed to treat. But in all reality, homeopathy is unsupported "medicine" at best, a deliberate scam at worst. And also at the worst end is that homeopathic bullshit medicine gets marketed towards ailments and diseases that are literally deadly if they go untreated by real medicine, such as cancer.

The way homeopathy works is that they start with some actual medicine, and then dilute it over and over and over until it's at the point that you would have to take a pill anywhere from the size of the Earth to the size of the galaxy to a size bigger than the known universe to statistically consume even a single molecule of the actual medicine For example, when something is diluted at a 1 to 100 ratio, that is called 1C (C being the roman numeral for 100). Take that dilution and dilute it again at a 1 to 100 ratio, that is called 2C and is an actual dilution of 1/10,000th of the original medicine. 3C is 1:1,000,000. There are homeopathic medications that are diluted up to 300C. That means a 1 followed by 600 zeros, or a dilution ration of 1 to 10^600. The total number of particles in the known universe is around 10^80, so you would need to consume a pill that's 520 orders of magnitude greater than the total amount of stuff in the universe in order to statistically get a single molecule of the starting medication. In short, it's pure bullshit. When you use a homeopathic liquid you're spending good money on water, perhaps with some flavorings and other crap mixed in. When it's a pill, you're buying sugar pills.

So if people can get a placebo effect from homeopathic medicine, or get no effect at all, it's harmless, right? Wrong. First, as I stated above, if it's used in place of real medicine to treat a serious illness, it can lead to worse health or even death. Second, homeopathic medicine is NOT regulated by the US FDA, therefore there is no oversight for what ingredients they use, or the quality of ingredients. Homeopathic medicines have been sold that contain unlisted allergens, toxins, impure ingredients, and so on.

And third probably the worst: the placebo effect only works on those who know they are taking a medicine that's supposed to help them. It DOES NOT WORK even by placebo effect when giving it to babies and young children or when giving it to pets. There are homeopathic baby and pet medications on the market, and that is nothing short of abuse and negligence.

Here's a video of a very knowledgeable scientist who can speak at great length about homeopathy. And down below I'll post a link to a full video of a talk he regularly gives about all matters of pseudoscience and crap including the bullshit anti-vaccine movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_D10hkDoF4

Youtube thumbnail

• Gary K
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Homeopathy is absurd nonsense and has never been shown to work beyond placebo for any condition, despite thousands of studies. It is nothing but water or sugar pills.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

• Gary K
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

I have an extensive knowledge of the homeopathic literature. Anytime you'd like a debate, let me know.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.