Is it worth repairing an 18 year old Maytag washer if it stopped spinning and it had an electrical smell?
- SSP Bowl DudeLv 71 year agoFavourite answer
Is it a belt drive Maytag?
If it is, the smell is the belt slipping , not something electrical. Belts are inexpensive and can be replaced by the user.
- Mr. WizardLv 71 year ago
Do you own an 18 year old Maytag appliance? Count yourself lucky: My 3-year-old Maytag dishwasher has completely broken down---and Maytag does NOT want to help me repair it!!
Repairs on an 18-year-old washer might be simple to fix---and you might even find online resources ( YouTube ) that can guide you in fixing this appliance. But consider finding the exact part that's not working, locating an exact matching part---and how much it may cost you, especially if the part is DISCONTINUED, which is a likely probability.....and an expensive one, at that.
CAUTIOUSLY shop around for a new major name brand washer. But do the detective work:
1) What are the Warranty Terms? Extended Warranty cost(s)? Get EVERYTHING in writing!!! Also check ONLINE for ANY RECALLS FOR THE APPLIANCE YOU WANT.
2) Are there AUTHORIZED major name brand "Care" or "repair" centers at the ready to fix your appliance, should the break-down happen AFTER the Warrany expires?
3) Always carefully inspect ANY delivered appliance, once the delivery team installs it; they tend to try hiding any visible breaks / defects, hoping YOU don't find them. Be nice to them---but NEVER trust them.
4) Know your consumer rights per your county and State; you have them---and the retail store AND major name brand appliance manufacturer surely hope you DO NOT KNOW THEM!!
- USAFisnumber1Lv 71 year ago
No. Major appliance are good for about ten years. When things start breaking down it is often fix it, something else breaks, fix it, something else breaks. It would be best to retire it and get a new one.
- Jerry SLv 71 year ago
replace it for sure. it is 18 years old.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- Aussie DevilLv 61 year ago
No buy a new one
- Geek SquadLv 61 year ago
If it were me, I'd probably replace it rather than repair. From your description of the problem it sounds like there could possibly be issues with the transmission gearcase. That part can run a couple hundred dollars depending on the model. At this point, it's most likely going to be more cost effective for you to replace it than to order parts. Just my opinion and of course its also possible that the parts you need could be less expensive but it may not be worth the time or money in parts to figure that out. 18 years is a pretty long life for an appliance, at this point you are probably due for a replacement. Washers have changed quite a bit in the last 18 years too, you may end up saving yourself some money in the long run with the higher efficiency models that are out there now! Hopefully that helps, good luck to you!
Geek Squad Agent Ashley G.
Repair Agent Geek Squad/Yahoo! Answers Knowledge Partner
- robertoLv 61 year ago
visit home depot,look for business cards of appliance repair guys
pay a couple guys a service call to troubleshoot the problem,,if it is big
says number one,pay him, with thanks for the service call
call number 2,not telling him anyone else looked at it.
might be something simple..toss the card of the first guy.
if both say its smoked,ask if they would transport & install a thrift shop used washer,,,,these can be had for 50 bucks,
some repair guys are slick, like number one telling you its dusted,he carts it away paying only gas to bring it to the shop,install or fix what it needs,, price it as reconditioned like new for 400 bucks.
- M JohnsonLv 61 year ago
No. But its worth finding a used appliance dealer who will give you a few bucks for credit for a reconditioned one. Get a Kenmore 80 series, best top loading washer ever made, and cheap to fix .Buying new laundry equipment is a bad idea, buy reconditioned, with mechanical switches. The circuit boards for new ones are insanely priced when they fail, and the front loaders mold and stink.
- 1 year ago
No, becasue the main thing a washer needs is to clean which it doesn't seem to be doing, and the very close and parallel thing is to make it smell better which it also doesn't do
- PearlLv 71 year ago
it rnight be