Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 year ago

Why do we tip restaurant servers? Many people would explain tipping is good, because the waitstaff makes a very low salary / even?

below minimum wage, so tipping helps provide them a good / decent salary for them.

And I say to that, that is NOT the customers' fault, it is the RESTAURANT OWNER's fault. They are the one's that do NOT pay the waitstaff the decent salary. So put the blame where It is really due.

So next time, you are thinking of tipping the waitstaff, Why not call the owner over, and suggest to them this theory and tell them how much you were planning to tip the server and tell them to DO IT THEMSELVES.

Your thoughts?

NO MORE ANSWERS NEEDED. THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED THOUGH.

1 year ago

I used to own a restaurant. Let me tell you how it works in the real world, kid.

The average restaurant owner takes home 6 cents for every dollar sold. For a $10 meal, the owner gets a big fat 60 cent paycheck. I sold $500,000 a year and was more profitable than most at 10% which means I took home $50,000 a year...working 80 hours a week, which is $12 an hour.

I invested a year and $200,000 building a restaurant to make $12 an hour so everyone could complain.

My state passed a $15 minimum wage, more than I made. I had to increase prices 30% (to cover taxes and other costs as well) which cut my business by 36%.

After a year I had to close, putting 12 people out of work.

But YOU don't care about owners....do you?

I suggest YOU start a restaurant, pay a "living wage" and see how it goes, kid.

• 1 year ago

Tradition. That's it. But imagine a world where "well-paid" servers didn't work for tips: what's their incentive to give you exceptional service? They're getting paid. Your choice.

• 1 year ago

In other countries to concept of tipping doesn’t exist and can even be considered insulting. Tipping is typically an American thing to help out waiters and waitresses, because typically they aren’t paid much.

• Kelly
    1 year ago

In my state minimum wage for servers is $3.52 and their whole paycheck goes to taxes. When they get their paycheck is it $0.00 so they rely on their tips for their livelihood.

That is for tipped workers in general that also includes cooks, bartenders, servers, delivery drivers, and other tipped professions. Sometimes your tip is going to more than just your server. As an example if you go to a hibachi grill where you have a server and your chef cooks in front of you, that tip sometimes is going to both of them and they're splitting it.

Federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour and honestly that's not a livable wage anywhere. My states minimum wage is $9.45 and even that's not enough to live on.

If restaurant owners paid them the state or federal minimum wage, most would have to significantly increase their prices in order to meet payroll needs and many would go under and close which will increase unemployment rates. People who say it's the owners fault, I'm betting most of them have never owned one to understand the overhead expenses.

I tip well, I tip on average 30% of my bill, if I receive exceptional service ... I tip well above that. I do that because I know what it's like to not make enough to make ends meet. I also tip on take out and delivery. I make well above minimum wage and I've never worked as a server.

• J-Dawn
    1 year ago

Unfortunately the restaurants take advantage of it. But the fact of the matter is that it happens and I'm not going to deny my waiter the ability to pay bills because of it.

1 year ago

You don't want to tip, then go somewhere where you don't have a server.

Cheap ****.

• 1 year ago

i dont see anything wrong with tipping but they should also get paid rninirnurn wage too

• 1 year ago

because it's a good way to show your appreciation towards your servers if they do a good job, even if I get a bad tip I would tip a quarter and write a note on what they could do to improve their service.

1 year ago

Because in your scenario, you're still stiffing the server. Ranting at the restaurant owner doesn't pay the server's bills. If you don't want to tip, go to a place where they don't have this type of service. There are restaurants that do pay servers a living wage and don't allow tips. You can also go with fast food or casual dining options that pay employees a living wage. The choice is yours - go to a restaurant that doesn't pay the servers a living wage and tip your server, or go elsewhere. If you want to chance the system, write to your local politicians. Complain to the restaurant and tell them why you won't be eating there. But don't go to the restaurant and cheat your server.

• Bob
    1 year ago

Here is my opinion: if the owners paid the waitstaff what they should be paid, the cost of eating up would go up most people would not like it and many would complain about it.

• 1 year agoReport

Bingo.

1 year ago

capitalist hypocrisy forcing customers to subsidize staff wages

how about doing a job you are paid for

nobody forces you to become a server

next time you see the mail person tip them

next time you see a social worker tip them

next time you see a refuse worker tip them

yadda yadda yadda

• rusty111fire
      1 year agoReport

Not getting fired is good incentive enough, good service is expected from any employer or else how would they attract customers.