Is Franz Lehar a classical composer?

or Johann Strauss, or Jacques Offenbach, or Sigmund Romberg? Where do you draw the line?

I keep coming back to ganzes Herz. Classic or camp? Does it matter? It makes the hair on my arms stand up. The reaction of the little girl at 1:00 is priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa58TdbRGJ4

Youtube thumbnail

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

As you imply, it depends on what criteria you use. I personally allow any composer to be "classical" if s/he writes music for orchestras, which includes all the composers you name, in addition to George Gershwin and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

• 1 year ago

All of the folks you mention had legitimate credentials as mainline classical composers. However, they also needed to make a buck from time to time - so wrote popular dance music, songs, and film scores. Some of those film scores were in fact serious classical works that they reconfigured to fit the needs of the film. Heck - we all grew up seeing Harpo Marx play a lovely solo - right in the middle of a film that it had nothing to do with. I have been a classical musician professionally since 1973. We have played thousands of GIGS, besides serious concerts. Many of those gigs were weddings - where the ceremony required classical music ( often cut to fit time allowed) - and then the cocktail hour, American Songbook, musicals, etc. Nino Rota played both sides of the industry - as did many others. I taught middle school and Hs music for decades - so I could afford to retire in my fifties with my husband ( who did the same thing) so we could decide even MORE time to our concert work. Risky Korsakov collected tools and taxes. Heck, Sir Isaac Newton worked detecting forged money for the Crown! There is a local dance band here called Bill's Toupee - not because Bill is bald - but we all make money as we need to - like the character in SIPWG said - "Work is what you do for others - ART is what you do for yourself."

• Mike
      1 year agoReport

I still don't know where to draw the line. Let's assume that, with few exceptions, composers write to make money. So that does not make a distinction between different types. Do we go through my composer list piece by piece and put a name to each? Dein ist mein ganzes Herz. Classical or Schmaltz?

• martin
    1 year ago

The line between classical and pop music is drawn according to the audiences who patronize the music, whether they are classical concert-going audiences or popular music fans.

• Roger the Mole
      1 year agoReport

Do you count fans now, or when the music was written? And how do you tell what kind of fans were listening to each kind of music in the 19th century?