Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStandards & Testing · 1 year ago

is it wrong that my parents allowed me to see my nans dead body when i was 7 or not?

• 1 year ago

That sounds a bit young. But I would imagine that the reason your parents let you see your nan's dead body was so you could see that she was really gone. And so you could say, 'Good-bye'. Fact is... that body wasn't something to fear or to be afraid of. It was [as it is for ALL of us] just something that your nan got around in. Our bodies are not who we ARE. That said.. I get the feeling that YOU think you might have been too young. And if that's case.. try to forgive your parents and no longer hold their decision to do so against them. That's probably what your nan would want you to do.

• canadacraig
      1 year agoReport

Thanks for 'Best Answer'! :o)

• 1 year ago

I saw my grandmother's dead body at her funeral when I was 16, I turned out fine. If this haunts you so much then it maybe time to see a therapist.

• zipper
    1 year ago

Wrong NO! You got to remember her at piece. I watched my grand father died when I was talking to him at 8 years old. Seeing him at piece made that memory much easier to take. I am now 70 and some nights I relive that day.

• 1 year ago

'Wrong'? No. A little insensitive? Maybe.

Bear in mind that other children all over the world see death every day, and not all cleaned up and tidy in a coffin either.

• 1 year ago

not wrong. death is an ordinary part of living. Various human cultures handle this differently. in your case, i suspect your parents did not discuss these matters effectively with you

• 1 year ago

that is a tough question to answer. I don't know that it is wrong, but knowing, at the time, whether it would have better or worse for you in the long run is hard to know in advance. Seven is a tough age to be shown the truth so forcefully about life and death.

I think allowing you was ok, but forcing you would not be.

Truth is, it isn't all that fun for any age. It sucks. But it is part of life.

• drip
    1 year ago

At a funeral? The body was in a coffin? My son was only a bit older when I took him to his great uncle’s funeral. He asked if he was in heaven and said yes, and that was it. He was no longer interested.

I see nothing wrong with it if handled properly. It is good to see the circle of life. It is natural. And it wasn’t a friend or young person. It was someone much older than him

My friend was almost 40 before she went to a funeral and she was a reck.

Death is a part of life and a small exposure to that is fine.

• Stella
    1 year ago

Well, it's not like they could keep her around until you were 12.

• 1 year ago

You have no rights at seven.

• 1 year ago

I think it's important for children to be exposed in a small measure to death. It prepares them for the future when they will be confronted by death occasionally ( loved ones, friends, etc.)