Best way to deal with GERD (acid reflux disease) and anxiety (agitation/irritability)?

My mom has been dealing with both heavily for 2 months but the PPI’s for GERD, the medication for anxiety, and natural foods aren’t working well. We want to try alternatives such has a wholistic doctor or possibly acupuncture, but we aren’t sure what would be best for her situation.

1 year ago

I agree with Martin, your mum should give them both a try and maybe find a reputable Chinese herbalist.

1 year ago

PPIs are absurd and ineffective. I’ve used them. Why? Because GERD is caused by too LITTLE stomach acid not too much. Try sipping/drinking some lemonade instead. That’s what I used to do. After eating, between meals etc. Don’t need to do it anymore. Good to take digestive bitters, digestive enzymes etc. also. Go on Dr. Mercola’s website. Find out what’s good for anxiety on there too. Some of the things I’ve used for anxiety: CBD oil, inositol, Bach Rescue Remedy, ashwagandha, 5-HTP, inositol. Whatever you decide to try just make sure you get the best brand/quality possible. It does make a difference. Go on Amazon and read customer reviews of different brands and different supplements. Check examine.com, labdoor, etc. Go on ‘balancing brain chemistry. com’ for non-psych drug alternatives for anxiety, depression, bipolar, OCD...everything. Dr. Josh Axe website good also. Many others. YouTube videos, too

1 year ago

The question is best addressed by the doctor who is treating her. She should tell the doctor that the current interventions are not working and what other options there are.

Chinese herbal medicine can be dangerous - as in its using herbs which can cause cancer. Acupuncture is good if you want a nice placebo effect. Not to ditch placebo effects. They generally do not change the disease, but they make people feel better.

• 1 year ago

Acid reflux can be helped by a change in diet and hoisting the head end of the bed up by about 8 inches. More pillows doesn't help but putting blocks under the legs at the headend of the bed allows gravity to help keep stomach acids down.

the change in diet usually involves not drinking carbonated or alcoholic beverages, or eating greasy or fried and spicy foods before bed.

I personally found that introducing a lot of yogurt to my diet helped too.

The diet part and raising the bed can be life changers for someone with acid reflux.

• martin
    1 year ago

The holistic doctor or acupuncture can't hurt. Give them a try.

• 1 year agoReport

They can hurt your wallet substantially.