Can I use DVD+R as back-up disc for my computer?

• 1 year ago

Back up to a CD/DVD is somewhat not quite the same as burning a disc in that after you back up your documents, file, etc, just changes are spared each ensuing time backup is run. To back up your PC records: Place a clear writable CD-R/RW (read/writable) or DVD-R/RW in your CD-RW or DVD-RW drive and afterward pick Start>Documents.

• Wombat
    1 year ago

It depends. How much do you need to back-up? If it's terabytes, I'm guessing rather a lot of that is not unique content that you can't just re-download.

As for reliability, if you stick with Verbatim (I can't recommend any other brand now, because virtually all of them are just relabeled Ritek or CMC), it should last a pretty long time. (Not that Ritek is so terrible: I've yet to encounter an unreadable disc, but I always burned at a conservative speed, and did a verify after writing.) Cost isn't bad: a local chain has packs of 50 Verbatim on sale for $13 several times a year. For really important stuff, I'd burn two copies, using different types of media just to be safe.

Hard drives are great, until they die, and then you don't just lose 4.7 gigs, or perhaps just a couple of files, so I wouldn't rely on just one copy for long-term archiving of family photos and records. But it would be smart to have a portable drive at home which you make a back-up to daily, then swap it once a week for a second USB drive that you keep at the office, so as to be protected from fire and theft. If your backups will fit on a thumbdrive, it might be reasonable to keep the offsite backup stashed in your car or purse.

• 1 year ago

Can you? Sure.

Should you? Probably not.

1) We don't know how much storage space is needed. If we assume a "modern" computer had drive is 1 terabyte or more and understand that a DVD +R hold 8.5 gig, you can do the math on how many blank DVDs are needed to do the back-up. You don't need to back up the operating system or applications. We don't know how much free space is on that internal drive... so even if the drive to be backed us has 400 gig, you're in the neighborhood of 40 8.5 gig blank optical discs. That will take a LONG time.

2) Once the discs have the backed-up data on them, they need to be finalized in order for the data to be available to another computer if the need for data recovery happens.

3) Once the DVDs are finalized, they cannot be used again. This can get expensive pretty quickly.

The *best* method is to back up to an externally connected hard drive - better yet, a pair of hard drives configured as RAID1 (the drives are mirrored). When the back up is complete, store one or both of the drives off site in a cool, dry place (preferably environmentally controlled) and secured... then rotate another drive pair with the original drive pair...

I use a 4-bay OWC drive case with four 8TB drives that connect to the computer using USB-C and back-up software to automate the daily back-up process...

• 1 year ago

You can, but it isn't fast nor reliable. It's fairly expensive to back up an entire drive

External hard drives are inexpensive and considerably faster if you use USB 3 or ESATA.

• 1 year ago

I wouidn't, I had some home burned DVDs, and after a few years they wouldn't read

• 1 year ago

You can if you have a disc drive that can write to that type of disc.

However, DVDs are not the best kind of backup,

so don't depend on that format alone.