25 Or 6 To 4 asked in SportsTennis · 8 months ago

If you hit your opponent with an otherwise leagal serve, whose point is it?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Chuck
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Best answer

The point is yours. Players must let the ball bounce. If the ball hits the player, he/she loses the point, even if the ball hits the player while the player is standing right next to the back fence, 20 feet behind the baseline!!

"Rule 24. PLAYER LOSES POINT

The point is lost if:

i. The ball in play touches the player or anything that the player is wearing or carrying, except the racket"

My comment: The key phrase here is "in play." Once the ball bounces out, it is no longer in play. Also, it doesn't matter if this happens on the serve or a shot later on in the point. Notice that Rule 24 i. didn't specify which shot in the point was being considered.

Source(s): ITF Rules of Tennis
  • DIEGO.
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

this is a good question!

• 8 months ago

If the ball is touched by the returner without it landing, its the server's point.

• 8 months ago

This is silly. If the receiver was stupid enough to stand that close to the service box and not avoid getting hit, the point is yours.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

If the ball doesn't come back, and provided the serve was allowed, the server.

• 8 months ago

You lose a point for bad spelling.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Yours. It's the receiver's responsibility to get the ball back and that includes not getting hit by it.

• David
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Yours.

• 8 months ago

Yours. If it's not in the rules, you should get the point out of sheer stupidity of someone standing in the service area.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.