2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R worth it?

I'm looking to buy a new car. Around my area, I found a 2006 Nissan Sentra SE-R 6-speed manual w/ 101k miles on it for $2500. The ad on Craigslist says it's been routinely maintained and it looks solid from the pictures. I wanna go check it out with a friend that knows more about Nissans than I do. My question is, since I don't know much about Nissans, is this model a reliable car? If I were to use it as a daily driver and in terms of cost of maintenance, would it be a good buy if everything panned out ok?

• 1 year ago

That is the Spec V model you're looking at. The SR25DE is a capable motor but prone to burning oil, oil leaks, and intake manifold issues. This car was designed during the pre- Renault era. However, it was built in the middle of the darkest times for Nissan. If it was older B13 or B14 models and properly cared for, I would be less concerned. Regardless, have a mechanic inspect it thoroughly before buying.

• 1 year ago

No. A 13 year old car with sporty credentials will likely have been thrashed throughout it's entire life. The clutch and syncros are probably almost gone. Lots of those cars get modified by naive youths. The B15 started as a reliable car, but in later years they moved the production to Mexico and the quality went down substantially, although contrary to other answers, the B15 was developed prior to the Renault merger. Overall, it isn't a bad car, but it isn't invincible like the B12 and B13 Sentras.

For that much money, I would probably just get an old Avalon/Cressida, Maxima, or Crown Vic.

Source(s): Nissan Sentra Forum
  • 1 year ago

In Nissans generally, the most discouraging feature is the company's emphasis on CVTs. This, at least, you won't have to deal with. As some of the others have suggested, have the clutch checked.

• 1 year ago

Just keep in mind that Renault makes Nissan now, They merged many years ago and the quality we all know from dealing with Nissan has gone down quite a bit Nissan is not as reliable as it was back then when it was independent.

• Iva
    1 year ago

YES, I HQAVE ONE.

• 1 year ago

Research the value of the car on Edmunds and KBB to determine the value

Get it checked out by a PROFESSIONAL mechanic, not your buddy who knows a little more about Nissan's then you.

If the mechanic checks it out as being in good shape and the car is a price you want to pay, then it is worth it.

The car is almost 15 years old. What's the value is really going to be dependent on how it was taken care of to this point (single owner is likely to be better taken care of) and what is currently wrong with it. AND something is wrong with it because it is 15 years old. That does not mean, it needs to be fixed, you just need to be aware of what is wrong.

• 1 year ago

If it is in good shape, it should serve you well. Nissans have good reputations and the price is right.

• SennaMP41 year agoReport

They have good reputations? Says who

• 1 year ago

I would be worried about the clutch.

• Carson
    1 year ago

They're a good car. Low miles

Have your friend check the clutch for you.

As long as routine maint has been done by a reputable mechanic the car should be fine for another 100k miles, if you stay on maint.

• SennaMP41 year agoReport

The B13 was the best Sentra