ali asked in PetsFish · 7 months ago

My goldfish are eating their own Crap or Poop and then spitting it out again, does this mean anything?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Believe it or not, there's actually a scientific reason for this that nobody told you about. Just hear me out;

Goldfish are quite intelligent Fish, despite the myths floating around out there that they're "dumb" and have a "3 second memory". It is proven that Goldfish have a memory of at least 5 months, due to a test done, and that they're quite intelligent and can learn simple tricks. They are very concerned about their health and others, and if another Fish is feeling under the weather or depressed, other Goldfish will stay with the Fish to make him/her feel better (which is why if you go to a pet store and see a sick Goldie sitting at the bottom of the tank, you'll often see healthy-looking ones sitting next to him/her). Health is the main reason that they pick up their own feces. It may look gross, but they actually do this to monitor their health and make sure all's well. It's not exactly known how they can sense if something's just not right, but they can. I hope this helps!

• 7 months ago

Their rlly creative at finding enterteinment on what to do

• 7 months ago

They are just looking for food. Their natural grazing behavior involves vacuuming substrate into their mouths and spitting it out again in search of food particles. I would recommend having a substrate on the bottom of their tank that allows them to perform this behavior. Examples would be gravel and sand. I think its rather cute.

• 7 months ago

they are looking for food. They dont eat poo, hence, the spitting it out. Goldfish will look for food in the gravel most of the time they are awake. They cant so what their picking up, so if they dont like somthing, they spit it out. You may consider a barebottom tank and more poo and rotting food will get sucked into the filter instead of getting trapped in the gravel.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

it means it’s nasty

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Goldfish try to eat anything; give it pizza, it'll try to eat it

give it poo, it'll eat that too.

• 7 months ago

It means you're a bad caretaker

• Bill
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

feed it

• 7 months ago

It means they’re bored

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.