Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 9 months ago

Why is the IRS coming after me I'm not a US citizen nor have I been to the US?

I work in Canada, pay Canadian taxes and only do business and shop in Canada.

Should I just start ignoring the IRS? I'm beginning to think it's a scam.

@Anonymous, it came through the mail. My family; parents, grandparents on both sides of my family are Canadian and never worked in the US. All family are Canadian born and we all worked and did business in Canada. Why would I the only member of my family receive an IRS notice in the post?

I can help you...First, you need to go to Best Buy and go to the IRS section, aka the gift card section, and purchase a lot of iTune gift cards....lol

Sounds like you got a scammer.

I think you are LYING. That said, I would contact a local attorney to check into the letter to find out what is going on.

If someone is calling on the phone, then it is not the IRS. They send written letters. They do not go after anyone by phone. Any caller claiming to be the IRS should be assumed to be a liar and a scam, but not the IRS.

If this came through Canada Post and not any other way (email, phone call), then it may not be a scam. Report back here with the return address on the outside envelope, and any addresses or phone numbers shown in the contents that you are asked to contact.

How are they "coming after you?"

Check the mailing address on the documents along with phone numbers...Try to cross reference against actual offices for the IRS.

It could be a mistake or it could be a scam, you should be able to figure out which fairly easily.

Could it be possible your identity was stolen, used to begin working in the USA.

How have you been approached? Email? Absolutely a scam. Do NOT reply to email. Do NOT even open any email claiming to come from IRS, or any US govt agency/dept. US & state govts never use email, only letters mailed through US Postal Service.

If you got a letter, inspect it carefully as it could be fake/forgery. CALL the nearest US consulate to your home in Canada & ask for the IRS representative. Tell them you think you are the victim of a fraud claiming to be IRS. Do NOT call any number given in the letter, or respond to the letter directly, as it could be a scam. Another possibility is mistaken identity, but more likely, it's a scam.

So find this letter and guve us the first paragraph. We can usially tell scams apart quickly.

Huh. Obama has come after you, under the name of IRS. American citizens around the world must declare the US taxes.

• .

That's nice to know. But this is a Canadian, does that make a difference?, or is the IRS going to start going after Canadians all over the world too? Scratching Head

If they are just sending you emails, then it's a scam.