Anonymous

can my boss just fire me like this?

so I work at a pawn shop with my boss and other coworker. just the 3 of us. This past week, my boss missed work on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday because of a "headache"... the store wasn't open because he didn't "feel comfertable having someone else run his store for him". About a month ago, I scheduled to have this Saturday (March 23rd) off for my God sons baptism... My boss called me up to tell me I HAD to be at work on Saturday because we're so behind... it's not my fault you missed 4 days of work for a headache!! Why should I miss my God sons baptism to be there for work?? I scheduled off a month ago! Now he's saying that if I'm not at work on s aturday, he's firing me.. is this right? Any advice? I've worked there for 7 months and this is only my 2nd time requesting off!

Yes...he can fire you.

Find another job...this guy is a joker anyway...

Your boss can fire you like however he wants to fire you.

Your boss can fire you because the sun came up, he can fire you because you showed up for work. Yes, he can fire you for any reason he chooses, except for sex, religion, race or religious preference.

• Lisa M

In Canada, if you ask ahead of time for a day off then he must honour that. In addition, it's wrongful dismissal if he fires you for taking a scheduled day off. But that's Canada and not the states. You can take him to court for wrongful dismissal. If he has an alcohol or drug problem then he needs to deal with it. Otherwise, he'll lose all his employees and his business.

I would start looking for another job. If you like the pawn business then go to one of his competitors.

As everyone else has said he can fire you for any reason

You also can file for unemployment and he would have to pay

but I also agree with what other said you do not want to work for that individual you've already missed 5 days of work without pay

And since your boss doesn't trust anyone else to run the store then it doesn't seem like this job is worth it

there are a lot of Bible principles you could apply to help yourself find comfort even when it comes to the economic situation today so that you don't feel overwhelmed by what evil men can do

Men like your boss who uses their position to intimidate others

Source(s): Jw.org
    • roderick

Our website covers many subjects that are relevant today such as how to find and maintain a job manage money housing dealing with the pressures of this system of things even how to do a job interview

Those are magazines the WT and A as our website are very good information for daily living

Tell him that you gave him a month's notice that you needed the day off for an event that cannot be rescheduled. Ask him if he would prefer you not be at work on Saturday, or your not working for him at all. If he says you are fired if you do not show up, tell him that he cannot fire a former employee and you quit

Source(s): 39 years in business
    • fire4511

Working for a demanding and unreasonable boss (unless the pay is extremely high) is not worth the paycheck There are other jobs out there and good workers can easily find them

Yes, he can fire you if you don't come to work. He's a lousy boss, and I suggest you find another job. Then he'll figure out how to run the store on two people until he replaces you.

Yes. You can also tell him "I quit" and walk out the door.

His behavior may not be right, but it is perfectly legal.

Unfortunately for him, valuable employees care more about "right" than "legal".

Absolutely