Why is my mom mad about me doing my taxes?

My mom wants my tax and since I have a 1 year old son she wants everything done together under here I am thinking she's trying to do...I told her I already filed mine and she complained why I told her I know how to do it and done it free and she says I'm not suppose to do my own tax?? Is she trying to get more money from me? Btw I'm 22

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

YES, she is trying to con you out of money. You will be entitled to a refund if you have a child and only make a certain amount. You are an ADULT, just do it and let her know you are an adult. She is trying to use you and your child to make HER money which she probably won't tell you about and keep it herself. You HAVE to think of your child FIRST. Don't be her chump.

• 9 months ago

No idea. Ask her, not strangers on the internet.

• 9 months ago

It sounds like she wanted to claim you and/or your son as dependents so she could get a larger refund.

You haven't provided enough detail for us to help you figure out whether or not that would be legal. At age 22 you could still be her dependent (if you were in college or if your income was low enough). Its also possible that you're not her dependent. Your son could qualify under you, under her, or under both of you in which case you guys can choose for yourselves who claims him.

Its probably best for you and your mother to review publication 501 to determine who can legally claim who. If you can't figure it out, the post another question with more details, or take your info to a tax pro to help you sort it out.

If you do qualify as dependent under your Mom then you'll need to file an amended return to declare yourself as a dependent. That would mean you have to remove your son from your return and you'd have to repay any portion of your refund which came from claiming him. That payment must be sent by April 15th to avoid penalties and interest. Again this is all based on IF you qualify as dependent under your Mom.

Bottom line though is that when she calms down you should both sit down and figure out the correct way to file and then make any necessary corrections, and make sure you do this before April 15th.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

You might be 22 and have a child. Do you still live with your mom?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

She wants the child tax credit for your son, the other dependent credit for you, and possibly the EIC. Whether or not she qualifies to file for those is a whole other question. If she files you as a dependent, you cannot claim your son. Show her the decision tree in Pub 501. You may have screwed up by filing without checking with her first, but then again she may not be able to do what she thinks she can.

• 9 months ago

She likely wanted to claim you both as dependents...Depending on her income level relative to yours...she may have offset more taxes and decreased her tax liability more than yours...

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Someone who can't figure out how to use a period should not be filing their own taxes.

She wants to claim you as a dependent. It's the smart thing to do.

• Coffee Drinker
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

The smart thing to do is to obey the law and claim only what one is legally entitled to claim.

• 9 months ago

If you are living with your mother and still a dependent, she can still claim you as one. Is that what she's worried about? Anyone can do their own taxes, even a minor, by the way.

• Vulcan
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

if you are living under her roof she might be able to get a bigger return on her taxes as you are dependent on her for food and a roof over your head and your baby is also dependent on her.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

"A bigger return"? I don't know how much additional paperwork is involved in claiming dependents, but the filing of the return shouldn't be significantly bigger. Maybe her potential for a REFUND would change, but that's not what you said.

• 9 months ago

At age 22 you file your own taxes.

• Coffee Drinker
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

And being age 22 does not automatically mean someone is not a dependent. They could be a dependent if they are in college, or if they are disabled, or if their income is below $4000

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.