Question about religious abuse, narcissism and possible childhood emotional neglect..?

My husband is a covert narcissist. I have been trying to figure out the origin of how he became a narcissist and I have been looking to his parents for answers. His mom is a very religious person. Her faith in God is so strong that she doesn't seem to care or worry about anything. Once she found a lump in her... show more My husband is a covert narcissist. I have been trying to figure out the origin of how he became a narcissist and I have been looking to his parents for answers. His mom is a very religious person. Her faith in God is so strong that she doesn't seem to care or worry about anything. Once she found a lump in her breast and while we were all scared she was apathetic. Once I called her crying because my husband had a cancer scare. She launched into a talk about faith and how God as looking out for him. I ended up getting the feeling that she was looking down on me for crying like I shouldn't be upset because I should have more "faith". Her personality has always been like this and it makes me wonder if she neglected my husband emotionally making him ashamed of his feelings (even though he claims she didn't). His father on the other hand had a bit of a temper and would sometimes throw objects in a fit of rage (which my husband also does). He would also yell at my husband's mother and say things to upset her (which my husband also does). Lastly not sure if this is relevant but my husband had a sister who died of leukemia. While she was sick his parents obviously poured a lot of attention onto her and I'm wondering if that made my husband feel neglected. During that time he got messed up on drugs and alcohol. He has also been on antidepressants for almost 20 years. His mom claims that depression simply runs in their family. Does this childhood sound like a recipe for narcissism?
1 answer 1