Alpine alarm siren removal, can I tie together the bare wires?

I recently purchased a used 1991 Acura Integra. I had no idea there was an alarm installed until the battery drained and the alarm started going off. I didn't receive the 'clicker' so I had to resort to physically removing the siren, leaving 2 wires. Afterwards I lost my emergency flashers.

Can I just twist the 2 wires together to get my flashers back, or are they receiving a "powered current" that by splicing I may create a fire hazard? Speakers need a "powered current" (coming from a power amplifier) so splicing 100 watts of power may get hot quick--- while if the siren has the "power amp" splicing before the siren shouldn't be a problem?

Hope I'm making sense, I know I can get a new clicker, but it's a 1991... Why pay for an alarm system that would be the most expensive thing in the car???

6 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    9 months ago
    Best answer

NO it will drain the battery, just tape them off one by one. The flasher relay may of gone bad, it does happen on ACURA's!

• 7 months ago

Following /inspection of the wires back from the indicator light clusters to the splice junctions (hopefully near the indicator switch) to get idea of colour code used in the vehicle. With the usual Scotchlock splices I just remove branch wire from the alarm leaving the splice casing in place. Alarm looms these days are of one colour only. They may have numbers on to help with the installation or use a numbered connection block in which case obtaining the installation instructions are a must-have.

• 8 months ago

Thanks for all the replies, sorry for my late response but Yahoo wasn't sending me notifications. I am getting some work done this week and will see what can be done with it; but this answered my main concern- if it drains the battery to splice that means it could potentially also be a fire hazard. The flashers are tied in to the alarm system, and were working before my 'surgery'

• don r
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Go to a shop that installs alarms and buy a replacement remote and have them program it...buy two of them.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Poppy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

I would not splice them together. Instead tape the ends separated, then tape in a bundle if you please. The flashers could be a separate issue.

• 9 months ago

Under the drivers side dash will be the alarm unit. You need to remove it and solder all the wires that were cut to install the alarm back together. the wires are color coded so if you have half a bit of mechanical experience you should be able to take it out.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.