Is there a theoretical smallest physical size for a rocket that could achieve orbit?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • jehen
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Yes, depending on the fuel, the engine and the payload. But I imagine at some point in the shrinking process a projectile that reaches orbit would be far more effective than a miniature rocket.

• Eric
    Lv 4
    9 months ago

There is no such thing as orbit. Explain how a vacuum can exist right alongside a self-contained system.

• Ozzie Klunk
      Lv 6
      9 months agoReport

You must be trolling so congrats to you for snaring me. The vacuum of space does not "exist right alongside" the Earth's atmosphere. And another thing: did you ever hear of gravity?

• Athena
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Yes

• 9 months ago

Minimum orbital velocity is ~17,500 miles per hour. A minimal satellite such as Sputnik with a mass of ~25kg will need a kinetic energy of ½mV², so you could calculate the minimum amount of rocket fuel plus oxidizer in order to impart this kinetic energy to said satellite. I don't remember my Physics schooling enough to perform this calculation, but it is easy enough for one who is knowledgable in this area.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

no. Hydrogen atoms manage to disperse outside the atmosphere all the time.

• 9 months ago

If there is, it would be smaller than the Pegasus launch vehicle.

However, no small sounding rocket has ever achieved orbit.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.