promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why is the IRS asking questions about 2017 AGI on 2018 tax returns?

It seems kind of stupid to be dwelling on something that has absolutely nothing to do with the current return, does it not? And how do they not already have the correct information on file?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

To verify identity for one.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 year ago

It's for security purposes. They do already have the correct information on file -- they need to compare your answer to the information that they have on file so that they know whether the person trying to file your 2018 return is you or someone else impersonating you.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

They DO have the info. It's one way for YOU to show you area really you and prevent identity theft

• 1 year ago

The question is designed to prevent fraudulent returns. If someone has my name and SS# there is nothing to prevent them from filing a tax return in my name, claiming that I earned some income and paid a bunch of taxes which would need to be refunded.

But since that person is unlikely to know my AGI from last year, it prevents them from filing a fraudulent electronic return. Most people keep a copy of their tax return for at least 3 years, so asking for your AGI from the previous year is not hard

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

It's an identity check

• NA
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

If you don't know it, mail your return in.

• 1 year ago

They do have it. That's the whole point. The question is designed to confirm your identity, nothing more. It is assumed that only you would have access to that information, so you likely are not an identity thief if you provide the right answer.

• 1 year ago

Its used to verify you are the same person as last year...its about security...of course they have that information on file.

Try to file with your 2017 AGI incorrect and see what happens...

• Eva
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

It's an additional security measure to help make sure that the person filing the return is who they say they are.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.