Gemma asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 months ago

Can you cook prawns just 1 day out of date?

I bought the M&S 1234 curry thing the other day. I bought the marinated prawns one. The rest of the bits are fine but the prawns ran out yesturday. I have been doing a few evenings and tonight is the first time I actually can have a meal at home as was very much looking forward to eating it tonight.

Depends how they have been stored. Use by dates are not magic, they are a guideline, and mostly it depends on storage. Kept frozen or chilled, yeah you should be fine. Left on a hot porch in direct sunlight, then they will be ready to walk away on their own long before the use by date is up.

POOPOO CACA THEY WIOL TASTE LIKE POOOOO

• IvaB

Odor is the key to knowing if shrimp or prawns (all seafood actually) have gone bad.Prawns/shrimp will have an acrid sulferous smell.Short of that,they should be fine.

• james

Better not to. I have found that when the boats come in loaded & they are cheap. It is best to buy them from the boat. Put them in ice & take home. What you are not using that day. Clean put in bags in lightly salted water & freeze. They froze are good for a month. But for best thaw & use that day. A extra day in the fridge they start to loose some fresh taste I find.

• Clive

There is no such thing as food being out of date. 1 day will be fine. Remember that the date is to protect the store, not you.

How do you think we managed without dates? USE YOUR SENSES - if they still look and smell OK, they ARE OK.

The out of date tag is just a warning. It is a tactic to prevent law suits.

Sure thing, if they smell OK. Check to see if the date says "expires," "use by" or "sell by." If it's "sell by," seafood should be fine for another 3 days.

• Sky

If they smell fine, yes. If they're starting to stink, no.

I'm sure they will be fine.If they don't smell bad then they are probably good to eat.