Marnie
Lv 4
Marnie asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 months ago

Should you put salt in the water when boiling potatoes?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Salting the water in which you cook starches (pasta, rice, potato) is an effective way of enhancing the flavour of the finished product - boiling starches absorb salt well (which is why adding chunks of potato to an overall salty stew will lessen the apparent saltiness of the dish.

But salt does other things. When I am making roasted potatoes, I parboil them for 5 minutes before drying and roasting them in oil. if you divide them into two batches and boil one half in unsalted water and the other half in well salted water (1tbsp/2 quarts water), the salted potatoes will brown and crisp much better than the unsalted ones. I'm not sure why this is, but I would encourage you to try it because it's amazing to see.

• denise
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

I dont anymore, I leave it up to my family if they want salt on their food, If we are having gravy this provides salt for the meal.

• 9 months ago

Salting boiling water is NOT for flavor--it's to keep the boiling bubbles small so as to avoid boil-over. One time a not-too-bright "cook" put 'way too much salt in the water with awful results.

• 9 months ago

NO THEY WILL TUENPOUT POOPOO CACA

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • IvaB
    Lv 5
    9 months ago

Potatoes are pretty bland so,if you like potatoes with any kind of flavor at all,add salt when the water has boiled,then add the potatoes and cook as usual.

• 9 months ago

Yes but be careful. Potatoes are salt sponges and it's easy to over do it.

• 9 months ago

Your choice.

• 9 months ago

Yes, it speeds up the process and adds flavor.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Yes. Not too much, so you can still add to taste when they're done.

• Iam
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

I do but it is not mandatory.

The salt causes the water to have a higher boiling point so the spuds cook quicker.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.