leon asked in PetsFish · 1 year ago

Is my goldfish dying?

The tank is oxygenated, but he keeps coming up to the surface of the water and gasping for air. He swims relatively normally, but he stared spasming wildly and erratically darting around the tank before suddenly stopping. His companion passed recently-- I m wondering if something happened.

Note, this is not my actual pet goldfish, it s the goldfish in my school s bio room, so I can t really do anything... but I have an emotional attachment and I want to brace myself if something happens to him. :(

1 year ago

not enough oxygen in the water , might also be hungry , water should be changed frequently

• 1 year ago

I dont think he is going to the surface to gasp for air. He has gills and gets air from the water (no offense) ... is it possible he is looking for food ?

• noselessman
      1 year agoReport

If the water is too polutted, tank not not cycled or overstocked, or not enough circulationthere will be burning ammonia and other toxins taking up room were oxygen would be in the water. So oxygen will run out , and fish of all species may go to the water surface to gasp for air.