Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 year ago

Should my daughters stepmother be discussing my daughter's college education with her and where she should go to school?

To me this is sort of kind of stepping over the boundaries me and my daughter's father should only be the ones discussing these things with my daughter and not the stepmother please tell me if I'm wrong she's telling my daughter where she should be going to college and she should be living with them

• GEEGEE
    1 year ago

Your daughter needs to develop a voice and tell the step mother that she's not interested in discussing this topic. Repeat as needed. Something like "thanks but Mom (you) and I have this covered but thanks anyway."

• Daby1 year agoReport

She does her dad does nothing about it. Has allowed to do and say crap since she was 8

• 1 year ago

I don't see a problem with it.

• 1 year ago

EDIT: Sure. She is just trying to be helpful.

What the stepmother shouldn't be doing is making any decisions for the child. If your child doesn't wish to discuss the issue, she needs to speak up. If she continues anyway, then you have a reason to be angry.

You can't cross a boundary until its been set, and clearly you, your ex-husband or your daughter has never set one in this regard.

• Daby1 year agoReport

No it's the other way around my daughter does not like when the stepmother does that that is why she came home and told me about it so you are wrong the stepmother is the one that has been trying to compete with me I have nothing to compete with she is my flesh and blood

• Lita
    1 year ago

She's part of your daughter's life. She doesn't get a say in your daughter's life but she absolutely has the right to express her opinion. Back off a bit.

• Daby1 year agoReport

She says that she tells her stuff and the dad gets on her case about it telling her to respect her stepmom

• edward
    1 year ago

What’s the issue here? What does dad think? It’s a third opinion, she sounds more like a school advisor than a parent here anyway. When i was graduating there were schools who sent me acceptance letters where i hadn’t applied. There was no question to me where i was going to university but it never hurts to get a second opinion

• Daby1 year agoReport

Her dad does not care about her education before this woman was in his life he never even paid attention to his kid never came to visit it was all work work work and he still doesn't care he does whatever the Stepmom says and she's just doing it to irritate me she has to win she says

• 1 year ago

She is probably just trying to help her

• Daby1 year agoReport

No she is doing it behind my back she's trying to supersede she's called my daughter's school trying to find out information she's emailed the school and in Illinois law states step parents are to back off regarding education Etc Guardian Ad Litem has already told her she stepped over the boundaries

• 1 year ago

You're wrong. You're also being petty. How about appreciating that your daughter has another adult in her life who cares about her?

• Daby1 year agoReport

There was a guardian ad litem on the case she handled the situation by contacting the doctor provided State statutes and that was put in my court order no it is not on me that some irresponsible bimbo decided to take somebody else's child to the doctor behind both parents back

1 year ago

shes probably just trying to help and dont realize shes doing sonnething you dont want her to do

• Daby1 year agoReport

No she is trying to supersede

1 year ago

Keep your head in your a s s most of the time?

• Daby1 year agoReport

Unless a stepparent has legally adopted a stepchild, they have no legal right to make decisions on behalf of the child's well-being. They have no say in the child's medical decisions, who has access to the child, or educational decisions regarding the child.

• 1 year ago

As far as I'm concerned she should discuss that with anyone she trusts. You can give advice to adult children but you can't force it on them.

• Daby1 year agoReport

She is called my my kid name is before she takes the phone away from her when she goes on visitation and she throws it in a drawer if my kid calls me she tells my daughter to put it on speaker phone she is in her feared way too much and that is why this is irritating me she will not stop