Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 11 months ago

Should people in developed nations be required to be vegan? We don't really need meat, right?

Meat consumption is causing global warming. Did you know cow farts release more co2 than cars? The meat industry is harming the environment, the health of humans, and the well-being of sentient animals. Furthermore allowing people to kill other sentient beings creates a culture that promotes violence and intolerance to other life. Humans don't need meat. So with all the harmful side effects that comes with meat, why is it tolerated? If the government can require most people to not drive drunk, it certainly can require most people to be vegan.

Don't try it in the US. That is why we have the Second Amendment.

Not only that, how do you know what I need? Is that what you guys are striving for? Just our needs? I like to live a little higher than that. I didn't need to get married. But I did and 54 years later my quality of life is much better. I didn't need to have children. But we had children and our lives are so much richer for it, especially with 7 wonderful grandchildren. Our lives have been enriched by going beyond our needs.

And most important of all, COWS DON'T FART! Look it up! Ask your local vet. And you have displayed to us all that you need to get a life and learn some science. That is, if you really think that way.

• Cowboy

wrong - we'll stop eating meat only when there are so many humans on the planet that there's no more room for beef-critters. That'll be around 2100 and we'll have to eat all of our pets - after that, the whole planet dies.....

• JimZ

It is hard to figure out if you are serious and a kook alarmist or are just joking and trolling alarmists.

Just because you don't "need" something it should be banned. You don't need an air conditioner, how about banning that.

• Climate Realist

People die in heat waves.

Yes we do need air conditioners.

• JimZ

Developed nations should have developed a government that is restricted from requiring idiotic things such as veganism. If you don't like meat or eggs or protein, then don't eat them. Trying to force others to do things simply because you think it is a good idea will backfire on you one day when others force you to do what you don't want. I'd rather be free, thank you very much. I

I ate at a vegan restaurant a couple weeks ago and it was OK but everything in there seemed to try to fool the poor vegans that they were eating meat. Why label the processed plant protein "orange chicken" when there is no chicken in there. The menu had a whole page of fake burgers.

I reread and I should add I didn't mean to imply veganism is idiotic, only having the government mandate it. I don't have a problem with people that choose to be vegans.

OMG, what is this world coming to, with such an idiotic question like that. Did Dinosaur farts cause their demise?

It may work as you say. But actually inforcing it would be another matter. This would be worse than prohibition in the 1920s. It may even cause a revolution.

But cattle raising is a waste of energy. Making all that bone for no use. Chickens and fish would be better.

If god didn’t want us to eat animals he wouldn’t have made them out of food.

Checkmate!

• JimZ

And he made them so tasty, or at least some of them. That cheap chicken from Ralph's isn't that tasty.

• Hari

Nope.

No. Yes we do need meat.

The vegan's lifespan is 7 years shorter than the meat eater.

"A balanced diet should include protein from meat, as well as from non-animal sources such as beans and pulses. Red meat provides us with iron, and meat is also one of the main sources of vitamin B12. "

"As a new study in Nature makes clear, not only did processing and eating meat come naturally to humans, it's entirely possible that without an early diet that included generous amounts of animal protein, we wouldn't even have become human—at least not the modern, verbal, intelligent humans we are."