do you think punishment has to be very unpleasant to be effective ?

the reason I ask is my parents have changed tactics with their punishments, before when I misbehaved I was grounded for a day no tv etc, this didn't really bother me or deter me from bad behaviour, I would come home late, sneak out when grounded etc, last weekend my parents said they were going to punish me more harshly, they LITERALLY locked me in my bedroom with nothing but homework and school books, I was escorted to and from the bathroom and my bedroom door remand LOCKED at ALL times , my parents said sometimes harsh punishment is the only way to stop poor behaviour.

I must admit I HATED it I normally sneak out when grounded but couldn't because I was locked up, I always go out at weekends but couldn't, I don't like this punishment and I don't want to be punished again, does this mean harsh punishment works ?

• Andee
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

For me, I need only be told that I did something wrong and I will not do it again. The feeling of shame and embarrassment that I felt about doing something wrong is unpleasant enough to be effective for me.

1 year ago

No, we should let the person being "punished" lounge on a couch and eat chips, that'll teach them not to hide the remote anymore.

1 year ago

Depends on the circumstances.

• GEEGEE
    1 year ago

To an extent, yes.

• 1 year ago

That is why it is called punishment because it is unpleasant.

• Zirp
    1 year ago

Deterrence doesn't work much. Punishment done when the punished don't know what it's for works even less

• 1 year ago

Yes. The more punishment the better it is.

They want to make sure you don't repeat the same behavior.

• Mike
    1 year ago

Yes, if you don't learn from less unpleasant punishment. Punishment is intended to modify your behavior by making you act in a way that will keep you from being punished.

• i do not care.

• Tavy
    1 year ago

You have been posting this for years

Boring.

1 year ago

Yes. It’s like pain. The more pain is involved the less likely a person will not repeat the action.

Unfortunately some will never learn