Is my mom mentally abusive to my brother?

My mom constantly acts like his grades are the only important thing in his life, despite him being in 7th grade. She has been saying that he isn't allowed to be around the family when we all gather to hang out for a bit because he's failing a class. Here's the thing: He used to be doing just fine. But... show more My mom constantly acts like his grades are the only important thing in his life, despite him being in 7th grade. She has been saying that he isn't allowed to be around the family when we all gather to hang out for a bit because he's failing a class.

Here's the thing: He used to be doing just fine. But as soon as he was missing a few assignments, my mom started nagging him like crazy and his grades started falling.

She doesn't even let him stay in the room for too long when he's hanging out with the baby (when the baby was crying and lonely) and says "No, go work on schoolwork!"

She always yells at him and doesn't let him do anything anymore. I can see my brother actually losing energy and losing motivation, and I think he might start becoming depressed.

Is my mom being mentally abusive to him?

(Note: She lies to him and says "no one will like you when you're failing all your classes and getting held back" despite the fact that the school doesn't hold anyone back. She also says "no one will hold your hand in 8th grade or high school" when the teachers are actually very helpful I know the teachers at his school, they will help you when you are struggling. And in HS, they even gave me templates for essays so we didn't do as much work.)
Update: I forgot to include that she stopped letting him READ. He is banned from reading right now.