Lv 6
. asked in SportsMartial Arts · 11 months ago

Will lifting weights help me in a fight?

If I practice boxing or any other martial arts and bodybuilding aside, will it help me be muscular and be able to lift heavy in a fight?

How?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Hai, it make you stronger and tougher. When stronger, can punch and kick harder. Thick hard muscles are like armor that protects yhou

• 11 months ago

You can definitely mix the two. Whether they complement one another depends on the type bodybuilding training you do, and which muscles you work. Building muscle will definitely benefit your boxing, but you should incorporate plyometrics at a minimum to build the muscle and speed for your boxing movements. Neither hurt one another unless you overtrain.

• Bon
    Lv 6
    11 months ago

I've never had to or know of anyone who had to "lift heavy in a fight".

Weight training can help, but it depends on what and how you do it. Just blindly lifting weights without a specific goal and plan is not going to help.

The proper way to incorporate strength training with your martial art is to use it to enhance the muscles that are

utilized by certain techniques you use.

Furthermore, overdeveloping the wrong muscles will either impede/interfere with your techniques or not having any added value. For example, does having bulging biceps really do anything for you aside from looks?

• 11 months ago

Lifting heavy weights will strengthen your muscles, so yes.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

weights are a tool. How you use them will determine whether you'll become quicker and stronger or slow and bulky

• Sandra K
      Lv 6
      11 months agoReport

You believe an old hoax that John Grimek disproved quite well in the 1930s.

• 11 months ago

lifting weights will help your punches be harder

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

no but the results of lifting weights will help.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Probably

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

not necessarily

thickness in muscle creates a shield for defense, too much mass can slow down speed though

it all depends on the physique

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.