promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Does anyone know about power inverters?

I wanna hook up my ps4 and small tv for the road trip, i bought a duralast inverter 400 w, will this be enough to power both on the road off that single inverter?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • NCA6.7
    Lv 5
    1 year ago
    Favourite answer

That's ONLY if the power inverter is connected directly to the battery. A PS4 requires about 140-150 watts. But I have NO idea how much power your TV needs, you didn't provide the size and the model.

A 400 watt power inverter requires an 8 gauge power & ground wiring. It's also recommended that you use a protection fuse. You would need a 40 amp fuse for a 400 watt power inverter. So your gonna have to KNOW how to connect the fuse and run an 8 gauge power & ground wiring to the battery and to the inverter. Do NOT connect the power inverter using the cigarette lighter.

• 1 year ago

In addition to the above answers a true sinewave inverter would be kinder to the tv and game system psu since these would be switched mode power supplies. If the vehicle in question has enough space would also go for a separate split charged battery.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 year ago

You can look on the label on the items to see how much power they use, add it up and that tells you if the inverter will give that much or better. The bigger question is how long your battery will run a 400 watt inverter before going flat. You will need to run the engine to keep the battery charged. You can experiment at home in the driveway and make sure you know where your jumper cables are.

• 1 year ago

An inverter rated as 400 W probably only produces 200W on a continuous draw. It can handle a short term surge up to 400W, but the non-stop output is usually about half of the peak/surge output. So double check the label on the inverter.

Your devices should have labels which specify the amperage draw. It might be listed with the letters "FLA" which stands for "Full Load Amperage" this is the highest amount of amperage the device will draw. The wattage is simply the voltage times the amperage.

My guess is that a 400W inverter (with 200W continuous output) will be plenty of power for a small TV and game system.

• Jacob1 year agoReport

Its a 19 inch t.v

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

400 watts is the MAXIMUM power your inverter will provide with a fully charged battery. You need to find how much power each of your accessories needs to operate and then figure out if you have enough power for both. Also, be careful that you don't draw down the battery to the point where it won't have enough power to start the car's engine.

• ICU2
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

400 watts is enough power for a small tv and ps4...

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

The answer depends on the power consumption of those devices in watts and the required amperage. The wattage cannot exceed the rating of the inverter. The amperage drawn cannot exceed the rating of the inverter or the fuse rating of the circuit (cigarette lighter, for ex) the inverter is plugged into.

• 1 year ago

Look at the labels on your devices for their power usage in Watts, if they total more than 400W it is too small of an inverter.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.