Are Bus Drivers in the UK supposed to help passengers with their luggage?

I was boarding a National Express bus for a 7 hour bus ride in the UK. The bus stopped at the bus stop, and there was me and another passenger waiting to board. The driver got out of the bus.

I don't remember well but I think the driver put the other passenger's travel bag in the cargo hold of the bus.

I then stood beside the bus and waited for the driver to put my bag in the cargo hold and there was a brief awkward pause where the driver looked at me. The driver then picked up my bag and put it in the cargo hold, and then rudely said to me '' I'm not your servant mate. ''.

What the hell!? Are passengers in the UK supposed to put their own bags in the cargo hold of the bus? Why was this bus driver so rude? I thought bus drivers do this to all passengers (Putting their bags in the cargo hold).

• Jon
    1 year ago

You traveled on a coach, not a bus (buses make local journeys and usually have luggage racks inside, if they have any at all)

Coach drivers often do take some part in loading and unloading luggage, especially if they need to arrange bags to come out again in a particular order on a coach making multiple stops, but it is certainly not usual for everyone to just put their bags down beside the coach and expect the driver to load them all. A driver would certainly assist an elderly or disabled traveler, but for other passengers I believe the National Express conditions of carriage for luggage include that it should not be so heavy that the passenger cannot move it unaided.

In terms of social convention, most able-bodied British people would feel silly leaving their bags for someone else to load onto a coach, it would be a bit like expecting waiters in a pub: it is just not how we usually do things.

• Katie
    1 year ago

Bus Drivers no, as these are short journeys.

Coach Drivers yes, as they need to make sure the luggage is 'evenly spread' to try and avoid accidents.

• 1 year ago

No you seem mixed up between a Coach and a Bus.

• Maxi
    1 year ago

Its in the name 'DRIVER' that is what they do drive the coach ( not bus) their responsibility is to ensure the passenger loads their own bags safely onto the coach, make sure the storage is locked to enable them to drive........ not to lift your bags that is your job to do

1 year ago

No OHS says they are NOT covered by insurance if anything happens

Your Bags your Problem

1 year ago

Buses and coaches don't have a cargo hold.

• Cara
      1 year agoReport

In a coach there's a large space for luggage underneath the seats, accessed from the pavement side, outside the coach.

• Clive
    1 year ago

It's not a bus, it's a coach. And no, he is not obliged to handle your luggage. He was not rude. If you want help, ask nicely. Why didn't you?

• 1 year ago

Depends on the driver. Sometimes depends on the situation too.

• cool
    1 year ago

Taxi drivers may sometimes help with luggage, but no it is certainly not expected for a coach driver to be hauling bags into the luggage hold.

Imagine if they had to carry the bags of all 30-50 people on the coach, that would be quite the workout!

• Lv 6
      1 year agoReport

A coach is Not a Bus coach drivers do help with baggage

London Transport Drivers will not help not their job

• Mark
    1 year ago

I don't think so. By the way, it's a COACH if it's long distance, not a "bus".