I know a hetero man who had a number of girl friends then later became a trans woman and now dates men. Is this the normal course of events?

1 year ago

Since gender identity and sexual orientation are separate things, anything is possible.

But I need to also comment on how you wrote your question.

First, you said "hetero man". She only appeared to be a man, she was always female. As far as who she was dating at the time, pre-transition a lot of trans people do as other people expect them to do.

Next, you say she "became" a trans woman. Again, wrong. She was born transsexual (gender identity-body mismatch). When trans people transition they affirm their inborn gender identity; in her case female.

Last, you ask "is this the normal course of events". You can't generalize that way. Trans people can be of any sexual orientation and sometimes their sexual orientation may APPEAR to change. It doesn't really change, once they have their gender issues resolved they are finally free to be their true self. For some that means their true sexual orientation comes to the fore, whereas before it was suppressed.

In short, trans people are just as complicated as any other group of people.

.

Source(s): me-woman who was born transexual (post-op)
  • 1 year ago

For some, yes.

• 1 year ago

He wasn't actually a "hetero man", rather she was playing the role society imposed onto her. It is not usual that a person would switch their sexual preference, regardless of their transition status. So, what you describe is an unusual course of events.

• 1 year ago

That's a normal course of events for her, but not necessarily for everyone else. Everybody is different.

• 1 year ago

No but it seems to becoming that

• Lili
    1 year ago

Some trans people are gay -- when they transition, they date people the same sex as the one they've transitioned to (meaning of the same sex they dated before); and some are straight: THEY date people of the opposite sex from the one they've transitioned to.

The guy you know dated women while he was still living as a man because he thought that's what he was supposed to do -- men date women. In reality, however, he felt himself to be a woman and was actually attracted to men. He just started to be honest about who and what he was, but another person might have turned out to be a lesbian woman who preferred to continue to date women.

All this can be a problem if people had steady partners before. I know of a lesbian couple in which one transitioned to male. She'd dated women before transitioning because she'd always felt herself to be a straight male, not a lesbian. She wanted to continue to be with her partner, but her partner was a true lesbian who was attracted only to women. .They broke up.

• 1 year ago

Or maybe he is a person of integrity that known that having relations with a student is a violation of all kinds of moral and school laws. And depending on your age may be a criminal offense as well.

• 1 year ago

Thank you - you're right I didn't put that very well. I meant to say 'most likely' rather than 'normal' - apologies for any offence I might have inadvertently caused.

• Cogito
    1 year ago

That depends on your definition of 'normal'.

Of course that's possible and no doubt has happened many times.

Are you trying to make some sort of point?

If so, you're not doing it very well.

• hillaryb1 year agoReport