is West Indian now an unPC word?

I keep hearing African-Caribbean as a word describing Jamaicans etc

• Jahal

Probably not the coolest way to speak about people, since it's from the worldview of a colonialist, invading, raping. Pillaging culture.

The term "West Indies" was applied to distinguished the Caibbean islands discovered by Columbus and claimed by Spain from countries claimed by other powers in the "East Indies" which were part of Asia and included India. Although there is a West Indies cricket team, drawn from the former British colonies in the Caribbean, the term "West Indian" is anachronistic in the same way that using the term "Red Indian" for a Native American was anachronistic and fell out of use.

No mon' it is not a bad word, you blood clot mon

People get out of bed to be offended nowadays

• They now refer coon, it changes with the wind!

Well, it's been pushed as more PC. But those who think that]s the case, please answer me this. Why is the Caribbean cricket team called the 'Windies', (West Indies), if it's not PC?

Everything now seems to be an un PC word. The whole thing is totally out of hand. I don't know why these people make such a fuss about what they are called, they should be thankful that they are living in a civilized country.

Probably, everything else is these days.

• jimmy

Jamaicans are Jamaicans. Are white Americans European Americas? The word African American even doesn't make sense. Having dark skin doesn't make someone African.

• Jess

I've never heard "African-Caribbean". I always hear West Indian, though.