Is there anything I can do about a truly evil boss?

Some back story. Last fall there was an incident at work. The real story is the boss told an employee to do this, and it caused major backlash. But he ended up terminating the employee with the reason like "I can't believe you went and did this." even though it was with his instruction. Then last... show more Some back story. Last fall there was an incident at work. The real story is the boss told an employee to do this, and it caused major backlash. But he ended up terminating the employee with the reason like "I can't believe you went and did this." even though it was with his instruction.

Then last week a similar thing happened to me. He asked me to do something (verbally), then I did it. Then there was minor backlash. So he called me into his office and he's nice and genuine "Sorry man, my bad, etc" then next thing I know I'm being written up with HR and he says I went rogue and did this on my own.

I know I can quit and find a new job, but is there any way I can bust this guy?

Unfortunately his boss is also his best friend, so I can't go that route.
Update: I've tried arguing with HR but they said it's his word against mine.
Update 2: Some seem to doubt my story. I assure you it is real. It's not that the manager denies involvement, it's that he changes important details. For instance let's say we think a computer is being attacked. He specifically tells me what logging software to install. So I do. Then I unknowingly log... show more Some seem to doubt my story. I assure you it is real.

It's not that the manager denies involvement, it's that he changes important details.

For instance let's say we think a computer is being attacked.
He specifically tells me what logging software to install.
So I do.
Then I unknowingly log sensitive information.
The company finds out and is furious.
He plays it off like "yes I asked you to log computer activity, but obviously not to log sensitive information, how dare you do that!"
Update 3: The point is that it was his decision to do the logging this way, and he should be the one taking the fall for it, but instead he deflects it onto me and says I'm the one who made the poor decision, not him.