Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 12 months ago

Can I still be a police officer ?

About a year ago I have been discharged with a OTH

I was a former 0311 infantry rifleman the reason for discharge was silly I got out due to “excessive”tattoos is it too late for me to still be a cop or should I just tell them when they interview me what happened ?

excessive tatoos? what a joke. I really don't understand things like this. As long as your face isn't covered there should be no problem. Obviously there is stigma against tattoos. Why did you get them?

• nt

Excessive tats will keep you from many jobs.

Unless you have had a felony conviction it does not guarantee you can't be a cop. But, Id wager against it.

While not an explicit reason to be rejected, if the excessive tattoos are visible...probably not going to happen.

Complicated.

"can" you still be a police officer? It is probably not part of the formal selection criteria that would prohibit you for being recruited.

is anyone going to hire you? you would have a greater chance of getting hired in an area that has a police officer shortage - utah, smaller cities in the midwest, etc

- If the area has more applicants than positions available, I doubt you would be the chosen candidate.

• RICK

Be honest

Also be advised some police departments also have a policy against "excessive tattoos"

If that was a general discharge then you are not automatically disqualified from each and every one of the 17000 police agencies in the US. Many of the small, rural counties might still briefly consider you.

What on earth could your disordered self contribute positively to the police force?

• Stoo

Be honest, every time. There's cops convicted of felonies. They're just not lying now. If you lie about your history, you'red definitely screwed. If you don't lie, you have a a chance.