Can you help clearing up a question on Red-shift for me that has been dogging me?

Take for example Galaxy A,B & C A is 4 Billion LY away and is receding at 10,000 k/ps B is 8 Billion LY away and is receding at 20,000 k/ps C is 16 Billion LY away and is receding at 40,000 k/ps The recession speed of the galaxies have been measured and the further away from us they are, the faster the measured... show more Take for example Galaxy A,B & C
A is 4 Billion LY away and is receding at 10,000 k/ps
B is 8 Billion LY away and is receding at 20,000 k/ps
C is 16 Billion LY away and is receding at 40,000 k/ps
The recession speed of the galaxies have been measured and the further away from us they are, the faster the measured recession speed. The conclusion reached is that the universe is now only expanding but accelerating.
When I look at it in a different way I conclude the universe is slowing down and decelerating.
When I take into account you cannot look out into space without looking back into time I see it as follows..
16 billion years ago the universe was expanding at 40,000 k/ps
8 billion years ago the universe was expanding at 20,000 k/ps
4 billion years ago the universe was expanding at 10,000 k/ps
To which I would conclude the universe is slowing down.
I made up the recession speeds, they are there only as a concept.
Now, I know both cannot be correct and that I am wrong, but I would like you input as to why I am wrong.

Many thanks in advance