Can I countersign a birth certificate?

My friend has asked my to countersign his birth certificate. I am a qualified teacher with a degree and have worked as a supply teacher but I am currently working as a teaching assistant. Am I still allowed to countersign?

• nappa

No

• ?

I don't know what "countersign" means but unless you were there when he was born I would say you can't do it.

• Tavy

You have it wrong, A BC is issued at birth, only the parent signs it. Do you mean a passport application.

You are still a qualified Teacher.

UK

In the UK, no one countersigns a birth certificate. But a passport application requires a countersignatory, who needs to be a professional person. Teachers certainly qualify as such, but probably not teaching assistants.

Yes,those rules were relaxed as long as you know the person for at least 5 years your profession doesn't matter.I believe...but don't take my word for it

What does the countersignature indicate? That would determine if you are allowed to countersign.

How the fark are we supposed to know? You haven't even told us where you live.