How do adults seriously convert to a religion?

I was brought up as a catholic but, like many others around me, grew out of it. I had assumed that religion was just a thing that people grow out of just like most people around me. On that note, I can't fathom how people can "find god" as adults, or how they can continue believing into adulthood. I... show more I was brought up as a catholic but, like many others around me, grew out of it. I had assumed that religion was just a thing that people grow out of just like most people around me.
On that note, I can't fathom how people can "find god" as adults, or how they can continue believing into adulthood.

I used to envy those who kept their faith, but I no longer do. I'm free to make up my own mind knowing there isn't a fathomless being in the sky watching and judging me.
(No matter what the Bible says, it has always been my understanding that God is either malevolent or powerless to allow the Earth to get into this state).