Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 year ago

UK Water Bill. I've just been billed for what would appear to be significantly higher water useage. We are metered. We've checked the?

meter to see if it's moving when we have no water running in here - it's not. I can't understand how this has happened as I've not done anything different during the billing period. I will be calling them but would welcome any ideas about how this has happened.

@ Elaine - I'm afraid you are probably right. We are both Type 2 Diabetic so tend to use the loo more than others even if with pee, we don't ALWAYS flush (I know!). We don't do dishes in the sink - dishwasher, and I don't leave the water running when I brush teeth. I just don't understand why. With a leak wouldn't the meter be moving - it's not. BUT WHY the sudden increase over the previous bills? They are all readings, not estimates too. I'll have to talk to the Water Board.

After speaking with the WB, it would appear that most probably the leaking valve in the bathroom loo, which was replaced in mid-August, probably caused the increased 'useage'. They want us to do two readings 1 hour apart, to confirm no other leak here. They do have a Leakage Allowance so it looks as if we may not have to pay for the extra use of water ....... SW Water - very helpful!

After confirmation confirmed we DO have an internal leak, it's now been identified as being a hot water pipe leak. The system is now going to have to be taken up into the loft and down to the kitchen sink, bathroom and cloakroom. Ye gods.

• 1 year ago

Each toilet flush is 3 gallons, a 10 minute shower is over 40 gallons. Doing dishes in a sink is at least 5 gallons. Running water while you brush your teeth is another 2 gallons, one load of laundry is 30 gallons, etc.

You'd be VERY surprised how fast that adds up. If you're metered, you're not being overcharged, they look at the actual water usage. Just an extra shower a week can push things.

I was shocked to find I used 22 gallons a day by myself. I keep things to a minimum, so conserving does take a focused approach.

• 1 year ago

Try checking it, then not using the water for maybe 12 hours and check it again. Hard to say whats going on but could be a leak somewhere in the system.

Also some of the places that I own they will make estimated readings on the bill and only check the meter every 3rd month of so, thus if the estimates were off then that 3rd month bill could be a doozy - however this is clearly noted in the bill so if this were happening you should be aware of it.

• 1 year ago

You looked at the meter with nothing on...so it wouldn't be moving. What you can do is check it periodically to see what the change is...say over a month.

Unless they did something wrong when reading the meter (which is unlikely, there is a reason its all running.

1 year ago

Possibly a leak ? It could be as simple as the company giving you a predicted bill based on past consumption or on the mean average of your areas water consumption. I would switch the water off just in case and give them a ring because they’ll have a much better idea of what’s going on

• Tavy
    1 year ago

WHO read the meter? Check your usage by your previous bill. Check that the price has not increased.

Was it estimated?

UK.

1 year ago

Are your meters read remotely/electronically or do you have an actual meter-reader come to the house? If you have a human meter-reader, it's likely that your bill is estimated most of the time and once a year or every six months or so an actual reading is done to square-up the difference between estimated and actual use.

• 1 year ago

Maybe a leak somewhere, maybe a dripping faucet, maybe a running toilet, etc. None of these things would likey be detectable by looking for a moving water meter. Look at the meter now, keep all water turned off, and then come back and look at the meter a couple of hours later.

• Yes my brother had a slow leak underground for five years!