Why do people buy and read books on history ? why not just look up associated articles on subject interested in on Wikipedia?

example, just tried reading "The Fall of Carthage" by Adrian Goldsworthy, and I must admit he is a very talented writer, as I cannot imagine how he can come up with so many words to tell about what he is trying to say. it is almost like he was a Charles Dickens getting paid PER WORD ...but he is really... show more example, just tried reading "The Fall of Carthage" by Adrian Goldsworthy, and I must admit he is a very talented writer, as I cannot imagine how he can come up with so many words to tell about what he is trying to say. it is almost like he was a Charles Dickens getting paid PER WORD ...but he is really isn't he?

the book was soooo dull and "blah blah blah and blah and blah and blah" that I was nearly going to lose my mind.

but people not only BUY books like this, but they actually READ them too? or do they just pretend to read it and put on their bookshelves like a trophy instead?