C asked in PetsFish · 2 years ago

Do I need a bigger tank?

50 gallon tank

I currently have a plecostomus, angel fish, gold severum cichlid, jack demphsy, blood parrot cichlid, and african leaf fish.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

The Jack Dempsey can get Really big. The blood parrot needs a different kind of food than other others. Cichild's don't play nice nice with other fish and will mark their territory. So the combination, if you want to keep them together, kind of requires a larger tank-like 125 gallon or more.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I would say a bigger tank would do them some good. Those ciclids can be *****.

• 2 years ago

The Jack Dempsey , the blood parrot , and a common pleco or other large species of pleco will, sooner the better, need a larger tank. I would consider seporating the 3 fish, rather then trying to keep all of theses species together. And you could add more fish to both tanks, but selct the species a little more conservativly.

• 2 years ago

no it ok

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 years ago

I would say you should look into a 100-125 gallon simply because the Jack Dempsey and the blood parrot get pretty nasty with age and the angel and severum are comparatively passive. Also if you have a common plecostomus you'll be looking at quite a large system.

If you removed the blood parrot and Dempsey, and possibly the pleco depending on what species it is, you'd be fine. Could add a shoal of smaller fish if you wanted with good maintenance.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.