promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What's the difference between 'empathy' and 'sympathy'?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favourite answer

empathy is the ability to feel as the other person feels. Sympathy is the recognition that another person has suffered and feeling badly for that suffering (even if you cannot imagine what the suffering is truly like, as you would with empathy). One is knowing the hurt and feeling the suffering as if you had been the victim, and one is simply knowing that hurt has happened and wanting to help that person deal with the pain.

Empathy= when you suffer, I suffer as if what happened to you also happened to me. I hurt too; I feel as you feel.

Sympathy = when you suffer, I want to help you because you are suffering. I hurt because you need help. I don't hurt so much because of what happened as I hurt because of how it affected you.

Empathy=I share the hurt; sympathy=I see the hurt and feel badly for your suffering.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • sepia
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Empathy is the experience of understanding another person's thoughts, feelings, and condition from their point of view, rather than from your own.

Empathy is the ability to experience the feelings of another person. It goes beyond sympathy, which is caring and understanding for the suffering of others. Both words are used similarly and often interchangeably (incorrectly so) but differ subtly in their emotional meaning.

• Kate
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Empathy means understanding, Sympathy means feeling sorry for.

• 2 years ago

Sympathy is feeling compassion and is a form of charity.

Empathy is a feeling of understanding because you have been in the same situation yourself.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Laurie
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

"Sympathy" involves feelings of pity and sorrow for another person's unfortunate situation. This is YOUR feeling about another.

"Empathy" refers to ALL emotions... the ability to comprehend how THE OTHER person is feeling., whatever that feeling is.

• Kat
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

Sympathy means feeling compassion or pity for someone. Empathy is being able to put yourself if that person's shoes.

• tony
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Sympathy=Experiencing another's feeling but not being motivated to alleviating action. Sympathy is usually the sharing of unhappiness or suffering, but it can also refer to sharing other (positive) emotions as well.

Empathy=Is understanding others feelings and caring about the way they are feeling, Putting your self in anothers shoes.Sympathy means that you feel sorry for someone

Empathy means that you understand how a person is feeling

• zeno
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

One is surface compassion and one is

Putting yourself in someone's shoes and

Feeling their pain or problems.

• 2 years ago

Google it

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

I don't know but the cruel sea has none

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.