Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 2 years ago

England not a country?

How can people say that England, Scotland and Wales are not countries? Of course they are. They are countries that make up Great Britain. Along with Northern Ireland they make up the UK. People also say that the UK is not a country either yet they have the nerve to say that England, Scotland and Wales are not countries either. The UK is a sovereign state with four countries united

That's why it's called the United Kingdom. In the UK, they are all countries in their own right. If anyone dared to say to an English, Scottish or Welsh person that England or Scotland or Wales is not a country they will definitely not get a good response. How can people be so stupid and ignorant?

• 1 year ago

No.

England is an appendage in the country - UK, as an informal region. In the international idiom, a country should has to have total, untrammeled 'sovereignty', the proof of which is its membership in UN (that UK has and England doesn't).

England is a city.

• ?

It is, but the word "country" is pretty much meaningless nowadays. The correct term for independent political entities is "sovereign state", and the sovereign state of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland is comprised of four "countries". Countries do not get admitted to the UN, only sovereign states. I gave you a couple of links below to clarify things.

• Paula

It is sometimes - and it isn't sometimes.

n the Olympic Games, there is no England, Scotland etc

There is only United Kingdom.

But in the Commonwealth Games (headed by the UK) there is England, Scotland,Wales etc but not UK.

Go figure.

• Bill-M

England is a country. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot. Not pay any attention to them.

• Maxi

"people" ???? What people? Most educated people know the Uk is made up of countries that are united as the United Kingdom...for the rest, well you can explain however you can't fix stupid

How can people be so stupid and ignorant?

Poor teaching /learning standards.

I doubt that you are totally familiar with all of the other 200 countries on the planet.

Test yourself Vučko was the mascot for the Olympics in YUGOSLAVIA find it on the map of Europe.

Who cares? They are on the other side of the ocean.

• RICHARD
      2 years agoReport

People can't take a joke.

Agreed. As a Dutchman, if I cross the North Sea, I don't say that I'm going "to the United Kingdom". I say I'm going to England. Or Scotland for that matter.

• BJJ

Quite right , I'm Welsh