C asked in PetsFish · 2 years ago

What fish should I add to my tank?

I have a 5 gallon tank, currently with 3 neon tetras and a betta. Wondering if there's any other peaceful fish I can add in?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago
    Favourite answer

My best suggestion for betta tank mates:

1. Mystery Snails

Scientific Name: Pomacea Bridgesii

Color: Golden, Blue or Dark Brownish

Level: Beginner

Tank Size: 5-Gallons or More

2. Ghost Shrimp

Scientific Name: Thalassinidea

Color: Transparent

Tank Size: 10-Gallons or More

3. Feeder Guppies

Scientific Name: Poecilia Reticulata

Color: Females are grey, while males have spots and brighter hues of color

Tank Size: 8-gallons or More

4. Cory Catfish

Scientific Name: Corydoras

Color: Bronze

5. Harlequin Rasbora

Scientific Name: Trigonostigma heteromorpha

Color: Orange to Pink Body, Distinct Black Triangle, and Red Hue Fins

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

ONLY fish in 5 gallons should be the Betta (with a filter, heater and temps at 78-80 degrees). The Neons and whatever other kind of fish you want to add should be in a 15+ gallon tank. Neons should be in groups of at least 5-6 fish (they are schooling fish). You can add in Platies, Mollies, Zebra Danios, Guppies. The more fish you get, the larger the tank. needed.

• 2 years ago

I would upgrade to about 10 gallons. I have a single betta, Leroy, just him in a 20 gallon.

I could use a snail.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Gourami's are peaceful, but 5 gallons is Not a tank-rather it is a large bowl. Go buy a 20 gallon starter tank. And neons are a schooling fish-you need 10 or more.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 years ago

If you ask me you shouldnt add anymore fish,but you could add a snail.

• 2 years ago

I’d say you’re about stocked. Neons should be in a school of 6 or more which would require a 10 gallon tank- I’m sure you see the contradiction. If they seem fine I wouldn’t worry all too much right now but consider a future upgrade.

• 2 years ago

Neon tetra should be in a school, a minimum for a school is 6. Neons do best in lareger schools of 8-12 or more.

Neons should be in a 20 gallon tank or larger. A betta and maybe some snails are the only thing that should be in a 5 gallon.

• Jeff
    Lv 5
    2 years ago

Any tetra. Danos can be to hyper for some tetras. Little angle fish or cat fish.

Betts can go after anything with big fins tho.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.