I hate my job. Do I tell my boss, or just quit?

Hi There, I am hoping to get some advice. I work for a start up as their first employee. I've been there almost 2 years. I believe that I'm an integral part of their company and without me, they would not be able to function. Yes, they can hire someone new to replace me, but it's a steep learning... show more Hi There,

I am hoping to get some advice.

I work for a start up as their first employee. I've been there almost 2 years. I believe that I'm an integral part of their company and without me, they would not be able to function. Yes, they can hire someone new to replace me, but it's a steep learning curve - probably at least 6 months, which is a huge setback for a small company.

Currently, I hate my job. Each day drains me of any ambition or joy I have ever had. Lately, I am finding it difficult to keep quiet about this.

What would be the point to telling them how I feel? It would give them the opportunity to try to change things and fix the situation -- thus giving them the opportunity to keep me around. Since this is a start up, I believe there is the flexibility to potentially create a new position for me - or at least, slowly transition me into doing something new for them.

My worries -- can they fire me for expressing this? Is there even a point of saying anything, or should I just find a new job and quit?

I care about this company and want to do my best for them, but it feels impossible.

If anyone has been in a similar situation, or can offer any sort of advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!